cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Rule is not sending Alert Emails PI7.3

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Gurus,

I have created Alert Category in ALRTCATDEF and also created Alert Rule wide open (All * values) but I am not able to get any alerts. I am receiving alerts when I check them from program RSALERTTEST but not receiving error when my communication channel fails due to wrong directory name.

We are on 7.31 SP07 and working on a POC to create Alerts.

Also let me know where can we check for Central Alert Server? I am assuming if test from RSALERTTEST is working then Central Alert Server connection is working as I have used NONE for RFC destination.

I am new to SAP PI and your help will be greatly appreciated.

Satyen Ameria

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

PI Gurus,

I have gone through document and created required configuration and job. As per blog following fields need to be set up for Java mail client service:-

- mail.from

- mail.smtp.host

- mail.smtp.password

- mail.smtp.user

Usually from ABAP stack while configuring SCOT, we don't need to provide any user ID and password information. My questions are as follows:-

1. Do we really need to configure mail.smtp.user and mail.smtp.password  information?

2. What value should be maintained in Mail.from?

3. Where can I check whether current java mail client service configuration is working or not (Similar to Test Email from SCOT)

4. Where can I see these outgoing mail? (Like I can see outgoing mail in SOST)

5. Where can I see Alert Messages in SAP PI 7.31 CBMA as previously we used to see them in Alert Inbox?

Also when I sent a test message from Monitoring Home (Failed for receiver determination), it was picked by ABAP stack configuration (I saw mail in SCOT) but it wasn't picked up AlertConsumerJob. As per blog, alert messages on java stack are consumed by java mail client service. Is Integration Engine failure is not java stack alert?

Also do we need to configure Alert Job in Java stack and ABAP stack both to capture failures in ABAP stack and Java Stacks?

Please help!.

Satyen...

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Satyen - Please check http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2012/12/27/component-based-message-alerting-... for receiving alerts on AS ABAP failures

Receiver dtermination failed means the message is on Integration engine.

The alerts job will only handle java stack failures.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Do we really need to configure mail.smtp.user and mail.smtp.password  information?

-> yes it it mandatory

2. What value should be maintained in Mail.from?

-> you can give any mail ID from which you want to receive the alerts.

3. Where can I check whether current java mail client service configuration is working or not (Similar to Test Email from SCOT)

->AFAIK, there is no way. If you dont configure the valid details then you should find some errors in the alertjob log details.

4. Where can I see these outgoing mail? (Like I can see outgoing mail in SOST)

->AFAIK, there is no such option. If your job executed successfully. then you should receive it immediately.

5. Where can I see Alert Messages in SAP PI 7.31 CBMA as previously we used to see them in Alert Inbox?

->you have a service "AlertRetrieveAPI". using wsnavigator you can query and fetch the alert information.

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

PI Gurus,

As of now, how I understand it as follows:-

In PI 7.31 IE failures are captured in ABAP stack and require setting in AS ABAP to capture alerts.

AE failures are captured in Java stack and require setting in AS Java to capture alerts.

We have been able to set them up and receive our alert messages. Only issue is as follows:-

When we send alerts for IE failures, we are able to send mail to external email ID (Non-organization ID). but when we send mail for AE failures,mails are only sent to Organization ID. We are not able to send mails to Non-organization ID. Is there any setting which is required for us to send mail to Non Organization ID?

Please let me know.

Satyen...

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Satya -

In PI 7.31 IE failures are captured in ABAP stack and require setting in AS ABAP to capture alerts.

AE failures are captured in Java stack and require setting in AS Java to capture alerts.

This is perfect

Reg your second question - AFAIK, There is no such setting that allows you to process to external ID's.

I came across below faq on java mail API. Please read it once.

Q: When I try to send a message, why do I get javax.mail.SendFailedException: 550 Unable to relay fo...

A: This is not a JavaMail problem. This is an error reply from your SMTP mail server. It indicates that your mail server is not configured to allow you to send mail through it. Typically, mail servers for an organization will be configured to allow mail from within the organization to be sent to other addresses within the organization, or to addresses external to the organization. It will also typically allow mail coming from an address external to an organization to be sent to addresses within the orgnaization. What it will typically not allow is mail coming from an address external to the organization to be sent (relayed) to another address also external to the organization. The configuration of the mail server determines whether such relaying is allowed, and which addresses are considered internal vs. external. Often mail servers will require you to authenticate before they will relay messages.

Former Member
0 Kudos

PI Gurus,

I have followed process of configuring CBMA on AS ABAP.

I have followed process for Component Based Message Alerting On As Abap with creation of rule / scenario as follows:-

1. Set up MONITOR Entries in SXMB_ADMIN:-

ALERTING_IS_ACTIVE is set as 1.

ALERTING_TARGET is set as 1.

2. Configured Alert Rule in IB, Setting up Distribution List, creating Job for sending mail and error generation in CC as per screen shots.

CC error is for FTP communication where I have provided incorrect directory name.

Now I go to SOST and I am not able to see any alert message. Am I missing anything which is required for Alert Messaging to work?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Satyen...

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Satyen - You don't receive any alerts for channel failures on AS ABAP.

The process you followed is just to receive alerts for any failures  on Integration Engine.

In addition to receive alerts for failures on Adapter engine, you should configure and schedule a job as explained here - http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2012/03/25/michals-pi-tips-component-based-m...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

Make below changes to your alert rule

1. Make "Nor Relevant"  for Connected to message

2. Uncheck Suppress multiple alerts of this rule.

Now check for alert in report RSALERTTEST

Regards,

Pranav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satyendra,

Please refer the below

http://scn.sap.com/message/14137335#14137335

Hope this helps,
Sathya

Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

check below links if it helps you.

if you have selected suppress multiple alerts in alert rule check below one.

let us know still if it is not working.

Regards,

Muniyappan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Muniyappan but after reading through SAP online documentation, it is suggested to use Component Based Monitoring as oppose to classic Alert framework. Where can I find documentation for Component Based Alerting in SAP PI 7.3 EHP 1. Also does it require any Basis related activities?

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Satyen...

Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

follow below links.

Some configuration settings you need basis help.

if you go through these belogs you will get some Idea Where you need their help.

Regards

Muniyappan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satyendra

Please check the following

1. Use transaction SLART1 and see if contains the RFC destination or not. If not then create the RFC destination and assign it.

2. Make sure that the rule is active in RWB. Please check the active option in RWB.

3. Check the table SXMSALERTRULES using SE16 and make sure the rule is there in the table.

4. Execute program SXMSALERT_LOGREADER in SE38 and see the rule is triggered or not.It will also shows any error if it has.

5. If you have check the option suppress multiple alerts, then you need to go to alert inbox and read all the alert message exists there.Once you do that the new alerts will go to your alert inbox.