Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade NW Components Separate to ERP Components

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Afternoon,

I used to think this was possible under the old SPAM update method, but with NW 7.40 SP05, you have to use SUM.

I need to apply SAP Netweaver 7.40 SP05, to an SAP SEM-BCS system.

The SEM-BCS is the one which is included in a stripped down ERP 6 EHP 7 install.

The stack for ERP 6 EHP 7 SPS02 includes Netweaver 7.40 SPS04.

I need SPS05 which requires Kernel 7.41.

How the heck can I generate a stack in MOPz to just update the underlying Netweaver components and not the ERP/SEM-BCS layer?

I thought that support package stacks were introduced to ensure you only upgrade to a complete consistent and compatible stack.

I don't know if I need to go back to SAP and tell them I can't apply their suggested upgrade path.  (That's right, SAP suggested this).

Help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I faced nearly the same situation but I had to upgrade no matter what.

I was on SAP Netweaver 7.3 SP8 with these ERP components in EHP4.

I had no choice but to do 2 upgrades. One by selecting ERP as the component to upgrade wich got me on SAP Netweaver 7.4 SP4 and EhP7 on the ERP components.

Then I did a maintenance on SAP Netweaver to get to SP5 of 7.4.

I know it's a lot more time consuming and downtime is twice the one we should get but I wasn't on a production situation.

EDIT: my BW version after all this : SAP_BW 740 0005.

Kind regards,

Pierre

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pierre,

Can you confirm:

- You used SUM to apply the SP05?

- You had to adjust Solution Manager SMSY so that your ERP system was shown as just a NW system?

Many thanks.

Darryl

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did not change anything in my system declaration. I let the SLD and LMDB do their thing.

In MOPZ I chose Component Version ERP to get a stack to work to NW 7.4 SP4. When I was selecting NW 7.3, I couldn't get to the stack.xml file MOPZ would give it to me because my ERP components were not compatible in their version to NW 7.4. With that I did the first pass at upgrade with SUM .

Once my ERP components were upgraded to EhP7 I could select NW 7.4 as starting component version in MOPZ and then I got a XML to go to SP05.

I know that's ugly workarounds to get to it... I think I had no other choice.

Regards,

Pierre

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pierre,

If you didn't change the system registered in Solution Manager, how does MOPz let you perform maintenance for a NW system?

In my setup, the system is registered in SMSY (Solman 7.01) as ERP 6.0 EHP 7.

When I run MOPz, I only get the option to perform maintenance on product version ERP 6.0:

I'm not able to select NW 7.4 for maintenance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well I could. SLD got that my system is installed with both products SAP ERP and SAP Netweaver.

I can't show you right now because I'm at a client's site and don't have access to the solman but after work I can send you a screenshot if you want.

Regards,

Pierre

Former Member
0 Kudos

By the way, did you read this document : http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=316769135

Regards,

Pierre

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Pierre,  I had seen this before when we upgraded to ERP 6 EHP 6, but it seems that we didn't have the NW part configured correctly.

I am now able to see an option to perform maintenance in MOPz for NW 7.4  

But, when I go through the process, I am getting an error and can go no further:

I can tick as many of the OS/DB files as I want, it doesn't change the "Continue" button status.  

I've checked the version of SPAM and we're at 7.40 SP51, the latest available.

The attribute it's talking about (ENFORCE_SUM_USAGE) seems to be trying to enforce the download of SUM, which makes sense.  However I don't know why it's moaning about SPAM when we've got the latest one installed.

I'm off to check the SLD to see what it thinks is in there, however I suspect that this info is not present in the SLD somehow....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just saw SM 7.01 is not maintenained anymore. You might need to do something for that in near future 😕

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the ENFORCE_SUM_USAGE attribute has to do with SAPKB74005 being singled out as not applicable via SPAM, only via SUM, which is currently causing me a small headache.  I am using SolMan 7.1 sps8, and I didn't get the error in MOpz that you got, but when I tried to use SPAM to apply a support pack queue including Basis 7.40 sp5 I got a message stating that this sp can only be applied via SUM.  My headache comes from the fact that I'm not applying an sp stack, just a couple of individual sp's, and SUM won't do that for ABAP systems.  Because it's not a defined stack, MOpz didn't offer to create a stack xml for me.  However, I'm wondering if I can use some of the ideas you and Pierre are discussing in my situation, to split out the NetWeaver components from the application (SRM 7.13) components.  Similar to you, I am already on the highest SRM sp's, but would like to advance my Basis (and other related NetWeaver) sp's by one level to try to solve a problem we're having in our sandbox system.

Regards,

Matt

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oops, meant to include that the information about the SUM restriction with SAPKB74005 is in Note 1795865.  It doesn't say why, however.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

are you sure you can't use the manually prepared directory option of the SUM tool ?

Regards,

Pierre

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Quite certain.  I tried.  When you select this option and point it to the directory with the patches, then click 'Next', a hard error shows up:

Error: Cannot apply option Manually prepared directory; this scenario is not supported for ABAP-only systems.

Investigating this odd fact, I found Note 1641062, "Single component update and patch scenarios in SUM".  This Note almost entirely deals only with Java patches, but in part III, "Additional information", near the end, it states:  "Updating / patching single components for ABAP only systems is not supported."

I have no idea why it should be so much more restrictive for ABAP systems vs Java systems, nor why this particular support pack (plus SAPKB74002, as well) is singled out for SUM-only application.  There is no further explanation in the Notes that I've been able to locate.

I did find in MOpz that I could select "SAP NetWeaver 7.4" instead of "EHP3 for SRM 7.0" as the product with this system, and then it offered me NetWeaver stack 5, which is what I want.  However, I'm getting another error, in that it then has problems identifying the base SRM 7.0/NW7.01 stack, and won't generate the stack xml.  However, I don't think this is related to Darryl's issue and don't want to hijack the thread for that.

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt.

I read the SAP note a while back, so I knew I would need SUM.

In fact, the screen I get to in MOPz is the SUM selection screen.  So it got my hopes up slightly.
I can tick the box to say I want the latest SUM for Windows, but it doesn't stop the error I get.

As Pierre says, I really should use the new Solman.

We've got one being setup, but it's going to be a little while longer until I can use it.

Like you say, the need to use SUM is causing headaches.  Without SUM I wouldn't need a stack file and could manually download the required component packages and apply.

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The CIM content has just been updated in the Solman 7.01 system.

Still getting the error regarding the ENFORCE_SUM_USAGE attribute.

I'll just have to try it in the new Solman 7.1 system once it's ready.

Thanks.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, after mucking around with it more yesterday, mostly playing with the product system definition in LMDB, I got past the one error I was having, but now I'm getting the same error as you (Attribute ENFORCE_SUM_USAGE is unknown, at least SPAM 51 is required, etc).  I'm using SM 7.1 sps8 -- perhaps it needs to be on SPS10?  Unfortunately, I can't just whip out a support stack update on Solution Manager whenever I feel like, as my SLD is integrated with it, and when the SLD goes down, ESS/MSS briefly stop working correctly.  So, I have to wait for a maintenance release weekend, i.e. about a month from now.  Same applies for CIM updates, as they interrupt the SLD as well.

I do have SPAM update 51 in my SRM (target) system -- perhaps it's talking about the SPAM level in Solution Manager?  I didn't think that would be a factor in setting up a MOpz transaction, but I could be wrong.  I am only on SPAM 49 in my SM system, and that's fairly quick and easy to update without causing grief to other systems or users.  I might give that a try, and I see Pierre is referring to that in his latest message.  I think, though, it's going to turn out to be a combination of being on the latest SPAM, plus sps10 and latest CIM in SolMan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Darryl, Matt,

FYI here is my components version on the Solution Manager:

SAP_BASIS70213SAPKB70213
SAP_ABA70213SAPKA70213
CTS_PLUG2009SAPK-20009INCTSPLUG
PI_BASIS70213SAPK-70213INPIBASIS
ST-PI2008_1_7008SAPKITLRD8
BI_CONT7075SAPK-70705INBICONT
GW_CORE2007SAPK-20007INGWCORE
SAP_BS_FND70211SAPK-70211INSAPBSFND
SAP_BW70213SAPKW70213
UISAPUI51004SAPK-10004INUISAPUI5
UI_INFRA1004SAPK-10004INUIINFRA
IW_GIL1003SAPK-10003INIWGIL
SAP_AP70029SAPKNA7029
WEBCUIF70110SAPK-70110INWEBCUIF
BBPCRM70110SAPKU70110
CPRXRPM500_70210SAPK-50010INCPRXRPM
IW_BEP2007SAPK-20007INIWBEP
IW_FND2507SAPK-25007INIWFND
ST71010SAPKITL710
ST-BCO7108SAPK-71008INSTBCO
RTCISM1000-
SOCO1013SAPK-10103INSOCO
ST-A/PI01Q_7001SAPKITAB7K
ST-ICO150_70038SAPK-15082INSTPL
ST-SER701_2010_120SAPKITLOSK

My SPAM version is 7.02 / 51 as you probably guessed.

Regards,

Pierre

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

"when the SLD goes down, ESS/MSS briefly stop working correctly."

I feel your pain.  You need a separate production SLD, then an SLD for the SLD plus other SLDs and you too can join the SLD train.  Wooo wooo.  It's been a long day!

In a sickening way, I'm glad you're getting the same problem as me.

If you look at the "info" page for the SAPKB74005 component, on the "attributes" link, it says that the required NEED_SPAM_LEVEL is 51, and you can see the new attribute that MOPz doesn't know about:

SAP broke MOPz.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excuse the silly question but did you use the latest version of SUM?

Regards,

Pierre

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I haven't got that far.

I can tick the box to say that I want to download it when I'm in MOPz, but the "continue" button just stays grey.  Can't progress to actually download the stack or SUM.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not a silly question at all, and yes.  I saw that 1.0 sp9 p5 came out yesterday, and so I downloaded it and tried that.  It made no difference.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can download SUM without using MOpz.  It doesn't require approval.

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Sure.  But it's pointless without the stack

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, that's true.  I actually got my stack files downloaded already, by using the "Manually select files" option in MOpz.  The problem for me was that Basis SP5 has that "enforce_sum_usage" attribute, so I can't use SPAM, and SUM won't apply ABAP sp's without a stack xml, which MOpz doesn't create in the "manually select files" scenario.  So this whole exercise for me has been about trying to get MOpz to create a valid stack xml for files I already have downloaded.

And the whole reason for trying to applying a more advanced Basis (and UI foundation) sp on top of the latest SRM stack is because we can't seem to get the NWBC-based "portal independent navigation frame" user interface to work.  I think I may just have to take another approach at this, and meanwhile put things in motion to get SolMan updated to sps10 with our next maintenance release, in February.

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Can you apply just a load of SAP notes to fix your issue?

It would be possible for me to do this, but I don't know where the issue is and SAP have just blanket recommended to upgrade to SP05 (it's for use on HANA).
I'm sure there's a note(s) out there for me, I just don't know which ones.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perhaps.  This is the approach I'm working toward now.  I haven't found a specific note for our issue, but I have made some headway troubleshooting it (resolved one problem, revealing another one, of course).  So, I'm lining up for a mid-February sps update of Solution Manager while simultaneously troubleshooting the SRM problems directly (and potentially escalating to a customer message... excuse me, incident now ()... if troubleshooting doesn't provide timely results).

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

RolandKramer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the New Option for NetWeaver BW System with SEM Add-On installed on any 7.0x Releases.

Good News - Easier Modeling of the SEM Add-On in Solution Manager

This makes the life much easier for BW Upgrades. Run this option prior to the Upgrade

Best Regards Roland

SAP BW? - three things to know ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, maybe an update of SLD's cim and CR would help.

Would it be possible that SAP did not yet release the new SPAM for SM 7.01 ?

FYI I'm using Solution Manager 7.1 SPS10. I did the update of this one just before the BW upgrade.

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I've updated my Solution Manager SPAM version to 51 and sure enough, in the list of changes, there's a bit of blurb about SUM sp09 updates:

Unfortunately this still didn't fix the error.

I haven't restarted Solution Manager, I can't afford to do that as other people are using the change management functionality.

0 Kudos

I'm afraid this won't help. But I was able to resolve the same issue with ENFORCE_SUM_USAGE by installing Kernel 741 - after I did it Solution Manager let me pass to the next step and finally successfully create a stack.

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bakhtiyar Sadyrbekov.

Can you confirm:  You installed kernel 7.41 onto the target system, not the Solution Manager system?

Thanks.

Darryl

0 Kudos

Correct. I installed Kernel on the target system, NOT on the Solution Manager.

But I must warn - you may encounter an issue described here: http://scn.sap.com/thread/3484070

while working with SUM. You've been warned.

But as for now I wish you "good luck with forming the stack"

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I'm already at ERP 6 EHP 7.  But I am running TP 7.40 level 37, so thanks for the pointer.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My target system was already on the 7.41 kernel.  That didn't make any difference for me.

0 Kudos

Matt, try to use lower or higher (I saw v.8 is out) version. That's all I can suggest for now.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am not sure what is your requirement to not to upgrade ERP components on equivalent stack level of Netweaver systems. But this should be possible.

You should define your system as SAP Netweaver system in SMSY and it should not give ERP components while you will create transaction in MOPZ. But even if it select ERP components then you can unselect ERP components. As a result ERP patches will not be present in stack file.

But in order to keep ERP patches on same level, you need to provide vendor key during upgrade. For Vendor keys, you can get in touch with SAP Support.

Thanks,

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can read the below note.

1927083 - SAP NetWeaver Systems with SEM-BW

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

former_member193518
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

The requirement to not upgrade the ERP components, is because there is not yet a stack level that contains SAP_BW 7.40 SP05 in the SAP ERP 6.0 EHP 7 stacks.

So I can't download a stack for ERP 6 EHP 7 that upgrades the SAP_BW component to SP05.

Therefore my only option would be to fake the system registration in Solution Manager.

This doesn't seem right to me.

As Rishi points out, we have the system registered correctly for a SEM system.

SAP note 1927083 and 1326576 both state that it should be an ERP system.

There doesn't appear to be any specific dependencies listed in the FINBASIS and SEM_BW packages for the SAP_BW component, so it should be possible to apply a later SAP_BW component and SEM will work, but the whole complication is because I must use MOPZ and generate a valid stack.

I definitely can't de-select the ERP components from an ERP stack, because there is no ERP stack that contains my required SAP_BW version.

If I register the system as a basic Netweaver 7.40 system in Solution Manager, I could possibly generate a stack, but I think SUM will throw an error during the stack validation.
I have seen this before where SUM refuses to accept the stack file because the stack XML doesn't mention certain components that you have in the system to be patched, but not registered in Solution Manager (stack file does not match the system to be patched...).

Thanks,

Darryl