cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BO 4.1 Promotion Management job status shows 'Success' in Source but Objects not found in Destination

sreehari
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have installed SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform 4.1 Support Pack 1 . We are finding an issue in Promotion Management. We have DEV and PRD servers in our BO Landscape. While Promoting objects(Universe(UDT)/Connections/Webi Reports), the jobs run successfully and without any warnings. But the Promoted Objects cannot be found in BO PRD in system level as well as in CMC/Launchpad. This is our first run with BO 4.1/Promotion Management.

Gurus, It would be really helpful for us if you can give a hint on where we could have possibly gone wrong.

Thanks,

Sreehari

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

0 Kudos

I have a similar situation where all the Promotion Jobs are in the "Created" Status and are stuck in the same status. Any ideas on what could be the issue?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swadeep,

Good Morning!

In your case the issue might be with the job server, as promotion jobs are moderated by job server, could you do the below please,

1) Go to instance manager and check whether there are any schedules in pending state.

2) If there are pending schedules kindly check whether your promotion job is there in pending.

3) If yes, go to servers and bounce your job servers one by one after disabling them. Once they are up and running, enable them.

4) After that you need to go to instance manager to see if the jobs are running.

5) If the schedules in pending are now running your promotion job will also go through as per its priority in the job queue, thanks.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Mukunth.

0 Kudos

Hi Mukunth,

Thank you for the response. I do have some reports that are scheduled and pending, but I don't see the promotion job in pending status. The job is still in the 'Created' status. So I am kind of stuck at point 3 of your post.

I'll go ahead and try to bounce all the job server ad see if that helps. If not what are my options? Help appreciated.

Thank you!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Swadeep,

Once you are able to bounce the job server and the pending schedules go to running, try creating a new job after deleting the old one, if that as well fails, please let me know, we can discuss on other options. Is this issue happening in all environments like dev, test and prod, if not you can try promoting from other environments. Please let me know the status after bouncing the job server, thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi Mukunth,

I did restart the Adaptive Job Server and the Adaptive Processing server on the Production environment with not luck. I recreated the promotion job which still is int he created status. Attached is the screenshot.

Apparently my other environments are having issues logging into the servers while creating the promotion job, which is a different issue now. We recently changed the authentication type from Enterprise to Windows AD and since then I am seeing these issues.

I get the error as shown in the screenshot.

Thank you for all your help!

0 Kudos

Hi Mukunth,

Can you talk more about other options that you mentioned in the post earlier? I have tried pretty much everything suggested but in vain.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am yet to find the root cause for this problem but I discovered that the LCMBIAR file would still have the content missing in the target folder.So what i then did was to simply promote the missing contents from the same lcmbiar file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I had a similar issue where the promotion would run successfully but the promoted report was not visible in the expected location. It was instead in a different location, where the original version of the report resided. The original version shared the same CUID as the promoted version hence that report was changed by the promotion. The version of the report that I was looking for was actually a copy, with a different CUID. For whatever reason the copy of the report was also erased which is where the confusion comes from.

To check if the report actually exists in your environment, find the CUID of the report (just under the reports properties) and run this in query builder: (http://servername/AdminTools/querybuilder/ie.jsp)

SELECT * FROM CI_INFOOBJECTS WHERE SI_CUID = <CUID>

If something is returned, the report has been promoted and it exists somewhere in your file structure.

Hope this helps people in the future, who stumble across this like I did.

- Samuel

0 Kudos

I had the same issue and searching for the CUID in Query Builder solved the problem. A developer had the files with the same CUID in their personal folders and Promotion manager was updating that and not the Public Folders.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Use Promotion management from the destination system to "pull" objects from source.

That has known to resolve a few issues.

Check if the destination doesn't have duplicate objects.

Ensure you're taking over dependencies (i.e. the parent object of the one you're promoting must also be promoted).

In the job summary check if there is a warning tab along with the success tab.

Hope this helps.

-Sid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sid,

We do always use Promotion Management from the destination to pull objects.

Definitely not duplicate objects - the object I am trying to promote currently doesn't even exist in our destination environment yet.

There are no dependencies on this object - just trying to bring it in to a folder from Dev to our Test environment.

There is a warning when I do a Test Promote - but not when I do the actual promotion.  The warning message says 'Promotion Status=Warning: The destination system has a newer version' which is impossible given that a version of this object does NOT exist in the destination.  Plus if I try the same promotion on an object that does exist in Test and do the Test Promote, I get the same Warning, but with the actual promotion for that object promotes fine (not just success, the timestamp on the promoted object changes too).

Any other suggestions? This only just started.  I also have an SAP incident open for this now too...

Thanks,
Missy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Missy,

One way to verify is to check whether an object of an identical CUID (which we're trying to promote) exists in the destination.

Using the destination environment's query builder (http://servername:port/AdminTools), run a query like:

select si_name, si_kind from ci_infoobjects, ci_appobjects, ci_systemobjects where si_cuid='cuid of object in source'

You could also use select * ....

This will help understand if there is a duplicate object in destination.

-Sid

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi - was this ever resolved? If so, I'd be interested in knowing how...

Thanks,
Missy

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should  be using promotion management in CMC to promote from one environment to another environment within the same version of BOBJ like form dev to QA or QA to Prod.

UMT is only used for moving objects from different BOBJ version like BOXi 3.1 to BI 4.

sreehari
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Durga,

Thanks for the quick response We are using Promotion Management in CMC.

Thanks,

Sreehari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you check if using export using the BIAR file from LCM is working for promotion or not?

sreehari
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Durga,

We are new to BO and we don't know the exact procedure for export using BIAR file via Promotion Management in BO 4.1. It would be great if you could shed some light on the same.And, LCM is not present in BO 4.1 SP1.

Thanks,

Sreehari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well by LCM I mean the promotion manager in CMC .. which was renamed recently from BI 4 SP5

Basically the process is use the promotion manager in CMC rather than defining the target while choosing the target just select output to BIAR file which will create the BIAR file .

And once you have the file you will go to the source and select the BIAR file as source and select the target as your target BI environment..

Also please post the screen capture of the process you are following while you can not see the report in target environment..

sreehari
Explorer
0 Kudos

HI Durga,

Thank you for your valuable inputs.

While defining the job I was able to select the destination as 'Output to LCMBIAR File'. But I was not able to change the Source once it is saved.

I am attaching the screenshots of BO Source and Destination Servers to give the gist of the process I have followed to locate the objects being promoted.

Thanks,

Sreehari