cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System status based on MIC: UD ICCO & LTIN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have a query. I have made an inspection plan with around ten MICs. Suppose 7 of them are Optional and other 3 are Required.

When the user is doing result recording and saving UD, system status is getting changed to UD ICCO.

My query is

• If three ‘Required’ MICs are once valuated and other seven, which are optional, are left or no value entered, system status would change to UD ICCO after UD.
  • If any three required MICs are not valuated or result not entered, irrespective of the entries made in Optional MICs, system status would changed to LTIN RREC.

Basically, users find it difficult to reset the UD ICCO inspection lot to modify the results. Does SAP changes the system status on the basis of ‘Required’ MICs? If Long term, but required MICs are left, system would change it to LTIN. And when they are valuated, it would change it to UD ICCO.

Is it the standard SAP behaviour? So that I can convince the users.

Or some settings are responsible for this?? Pl note all the MICs are set for Long term inspection in control indicators.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The system basically ignores any optional characteristics.  Only required characteristics are considered for the status changes.

Therefore, from what you describe, the system is behaving as I would expect.

For instance, if all 10 MIC's were optional, an Auto UD can process the lot away with no results.

I discourage the use of setting all MIC's to long-term characteristics.  It's a management thing more than anything else.  To me it's a cheap way of fixing data after a UD when something is found to be wrong. 

The proper way to make the correction is to create a manual inspection lot and record the corrected value(s).  With long term MIC's basically anyone, (who can record results), can go in and change results any time unless you take additional security measures.  This would be frowned upon in any regulated environment.  It's like making an erasure in a lab notebook.. a HUGE no-no.

You also lose the visibility of the correction.  If corrections are that much of a problem that you need to make all MIC's long term, there are probably some serious basic issues with the capabilities of the employees or the processes in place.

You might find out that one technician accounts for a majority of the corrections.  Or maybe certain tests.  Or maybe the majority happen on midnight shift.  Once identified, the root cause of the problem can be addressed.  (an improperly trained tech, a balky testing machine, an overworked night shift).

(Stepping off soap box)

Yes.. your system is behaving as expected. 

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Thanks for clearing my query. It is really a nice explanation.

This is basically a steel industry where liquid metal casting is done and variations are really common after the casting. This is the reason my client need this flexibility, to maintain the precise chemistry.

Thanks

Gaurav

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Glad I've helped you with your concerns. 

I've done some work in that industry.  Hasn't changed my mind. 

To me, that's what free inspection points and manual lots are for.  Repeat inspection until you get it right.  If you can't quantify the actual number of tests performed, you won't know what needs correcting or investment the most.

Craig

Answers (0)