cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP spool error - Port 515

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

in our system we use network label printer (mass printout).  Access method U: Berkeley protocol.

Port number not defined  - default. On printer port 515 is closed - open 9100 (not sure if only).

SAP is running on Linux/DB6.

In generall printing works OK, but in case of large amounts of labels we are facing problems with broken communication.

Reading available documentation I always meet the information of the need to be open 515 port.

Is that true?- if yes why most of the time we don't have any problems?

It looks like spool workprocess is trying to send data on 515 port when others are not accessible.

Below spool request example.

Workprocess content. As you can see some printouts sent successfully and last not.

Is it necessary to open 515 port to avoid this issue?

regards

Marek Ch.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hello,

the think is that port 515 is standard port for printing in SAP. So it should be opened. But look to this thread

I understand it this way. Port 515 is used only for some basic things (probably they are not so importatnt, if you print without them) and the data us then sent on port 9100 using UDP connection. Can somebody approve this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kamil,

thank you for your answer.

Yes, I saw this thread before. In my understanding it doesn't clearly confirm that there is no need to use 515 port (port 515 is just used to receive the spool information).

Just for information if I decalare port 9100 (open on printer) in Access Method parameters communication to host printer is not possible at all.

regards

Marek Ch.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, first thing I would try would be opening port 515 on the printer (if possible).

I think if you leave the port number unspecified in spool declaration, it would be the same as writting there 515.

Also I think that there is a need to use port 515, but it is strange to me, that you are able to print some of documents if 515 is closed on the printer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exactly Kamil,

I have the same doubts!

regards

Marek Ch.

Answers (0)