Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing connection of SAPGUI started via portal with SSO

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all, i'm a very very new to SAP. so i might not know alot of things yet.

Just to check can we secure the communication channel when SAPgui is started on the local computer via portal (iview) with SSO authentication already done?

Not sure if my question is being understood.. please kindly help

7 REPLIES 7

tim_alsop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes,  you can secure the communication channel using SNC libraries. What method of authentication is your portal using when users logon ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

If i'm not wrong, its using Logon Ticket

0 Kudos

The logon ticket is not a form of user authentication. The logon ticket is issued after the user has authenticated and often stored as a session cookie in users browser.

Maybe I can ask what happens when a user logs onto the portal. Do they logon to their Windows workstation using an AD account and then open browser and access portal without a SignOn screen being shown ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm so sorry Tim for the mistake but the scenerio you explained is correct. its SSO isnt it

0 Kudos

No need to be sorry.

So, you need an SNC library that also implements SSO and encrypts the session after SAP GUI logon. There are a few available, either from SAP or from SAP software partners, and they are all licensed so you need to look at the products available and compare features, price etc. A discussion about these products and comparing them, or any commercial discussion is not possible on SCN due to SCN rules.

I hope I have been helpful ?

0 Kudos

Thanks Tim. You have pointed me to a direction to do my research.

Thanks!

Can I say that nothing can be done to accomplish this without introducing new products?

0 Kudos

Shawn Huang wrote:

Can I say that nothing can be done to accomplish this without introducing new products?

Yes, that is correct - you need a product that has an SNC library and is used for SSO, so that the SAP GUI user is authenticated in same way as the browser user and the session is also encrypted after the user has authenticated.