cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use Solution Manager effectively, for implementations?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have recently become more involved in SAP projects.  We have several rollouts planned over the next few years, but we are not maximizing our use of Solution Manager.  What functionality/features and work centers do I need (in addition to Implementation/Upgrade) in order to use Solution Manager effectively for SAP rollouts?

I know that I can't just start using the Implementation/Upgrade work center and expect to have everything there.  I am trying to understand the dependencies between the parts and pieces that will help lead to an effective solution.  For example, if I need to have roadmaps and blueprints in place to use the Implementation/Upgrade work center effectively, what to I need to have in place, or do, to use roadmaps and blueprints?  I would like to follow the trail back to the beginning (Initial Preparation), then work my way forward through using ASAP and Solution Manager so that I can present a case to my leadership for the changes we need to make to improve our processes.  Hopefully this makes sense.

Thank you for your input.

Aaron

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

GiulioV
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Aaron

Usually to answer your question requires a project: it is the blueprint of your Solution Manager. Nevertheless I will try to give you some guidelines you can refer to make your decisions.

1) Define which part of your architecture you want to manage with Solution Manager (it is not mandatory to include all systems in your architecture in the SM scope).

2) Document the solution in your scope: you can create a template project and document your solution with the support of Solution Documentation Assistant functionalities. At this stage you should decide which contents should be moved out of the documents and managed using SM functionalities (i.e. transactions, keywords and classification, developments, test cases...): the more contents you will be able to manage in the SM the more functionalities you will be able to use to optimimize your solution management activities (pay attention to don't overingeneer your IT processes). At this stage you should also decide how to implement in the Solution Manager your "template strategy": that is how to use your "well documented" solution during your roll-out projects. There are many functionalities that can support you in the solution template management.

3) Every time you launch a new roll-out project according to your template strategy you might be required to create a new project, during this activity you have to select template solutions in the scope and then you are ready to start your roll-out.

4) How to use SM during the project can  be influenced by a lot of factors: based on my experience is quite unusual to use roadmaps during the project life even if can be very helpfull to have them available to be consulted.

Last but not least it is crucial the way you define the three levels business process structure, I cannot say that there is a single way to shape it but the golden rule is to agree the structure with the business, it will become the common dictionary you will use to speak each other.

I hope it can help

Regards

Giulio

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Aaron,

Solution Manager comes with a bulk of features and having core 11 ALM process areas or sub modules or features.

If you are doing an implementation then

Solution Implementation and Test Management is something you can start with and later expand it solman usage for other functionalities/areas

Solution Implementation - SAP Solution Manager - SAP Library

Test Management - SAP Solution Manager - SAP Library

The way you can't implement any other module of SAP like PP, SD at ONE GO similarly entire Change Management (for e.g) can't be implemented ..you can start with Quality Gate Management, then Change Request Management(ChaRM) etc based upon your scenario

Regards

Prakhar Saxena

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

There are lots of use cases for solution manager for implementation project,

For project administration and road maps, you can check with the template management functionality would really helps in global rollouts

you can use Charm also for your implementation project, now PPM also get it integrated to solution manager check here

For maintaining blueprint during the time of implementation would be really good, later for maintenance or handover phase this would make real difference and basis for other future activity like Testing and effort estimation, change analyser ( BPCA). For maintaining Blueprint you not required any major technical support, you need functional team support to capture / design the business process in blueprint. check here

Thanks

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aaron

In a nutshell, future is SOLUTION Manager for SAP systems, Reality is more than SAP. Let me explain why, since it is widely covered entire SAP environment it requires more buyin than implementation. I don't know your capacity at work (don't take me wrong i am talking about Hierarchy) if you are technical person first get blessing from #1 of your IT dept, the reason i am saying this certain modules like ChARM connects across various functions. Here you need to play lot of political games, flips and turns it is fun activity.

On the other hand it is quite straight forward for technical (as usual) as long as your landscape clean and connected to solution manager (Managed System Config) you can start enabling dashboards, monitoring EWAs etc.

once you done with this, you are ready to wear "CAPE" coz you are super hero....

Good luck, stay on SCN there are lots of SOLMAN gurus in this group willing to help as fellow professional.

oh by the way, post more details of your landscape, I suggest start reading RKTs http://service.sap.com/rkt you need S number for this.

-giri