cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Preventive and Detective controls

0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Can anyone please tell me the difference between Preventive and Detective controls in Process Control.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Vinay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well as far as I understand it, Preventive controls are controls that you create with situation in mind of issues that can arise.

Detective controls are hunting down a problem or identifying an issue that needs to be controlled.

I may be off, but thats my understanding of it in the Process Controls.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agree with Brian's response,

Preventive is more of a "blocker" i.e. you are attempting to stop the issue/risk from actually existing or being realised. Process Controls is used as a Preventive tool with all the monitoring capabilities it has.

Detective is more  "hunting down" actual realised/dormant risks, i.e. how Risk analysis in Access Controls detects actual SoD and Critical risks within user's actual accounts.

Having said that, Access Controls can also be used for preventive control i.e. perform Role and Use Risk Simulations, as you would be testing if any risk violations would occur due to the prospective changes.

0 Kudos

Hi Harinam,

Thanks for the explanation,

I understood about the difference,but will it make any difference while scheduling a job in Process Control.

Thanks,

Vinay

0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the explanation,

I understood about the difference,but will it make any difference while scheduling a job in Process Control.

Thanks,

Vinay