cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Multiple Databases with multiple schemas to Hana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have currently multiple databases with multiple schemas running on MSSQL. These databases has to be migrated to Hana.
What architecture needs to be implemented for Hana Landscape for such scenarios? Can this be implemented using one Hana System?

Regards,

Lalu George

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You would use one HANA DB, with multiple schemas. You will migrate all your MSSQL databases onto one HANA DB. This is the supported and most cost-effective way to do it - assuming all your MSSQL databases will fit.

Otherwise as Sunny says, you will need multiple HANA DBs in production, which currently means multiple servers. This advice is likely to change soon in relation to VMWare, but not until quite a lot later in relation to multiple DBs on one virtual machine, in production.

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny/John,

Thanks for your replies.

But if at all we have to implement the scenario with ony one Hana DB, then as John pointed out, we can have multiple schemas running under Hana. Now the confusion comes where i have the below structure, for eg:

DB1

SCM1

SCM2

SCM3

DB2

SCM2

SCM4

SCM5

:

Where DB* is the database and SCM* is the schemas present under these databases. Notice that the schema SCM2 comes under both DB1 and DB2. I cannot combine these two to make a single schema inside the Hana DB right?

Regards,

Lalu George

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sure you can if you want to. But obviously this might want some care because the DB/Schema combination might have a different purpose. Combining the tables might cause a namespace issue.

The only thing you can't do on HANA is have two DBs with the same name on the same host.

Interestingly in SP07 they implemented the CREATE DATABASE feature which doesn't work yet but I suspect they are moving towards pluggable databases like Oracle.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow, that is wonderful news! If there is a CREATE DATABASE statement, then surely, we can create multiple databases? And looking forward to release of SP07.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry you misunderstand - my bad.

SP07 is out and this command is in the reference. I presume it is a placeholder for future functionality like pluggable databases.

Soon, we expect support for VMWare in production which will allow you to split a box up.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I upgraded my test db to SPS07. But while issuing the "CREATE DATABASE" command i got ::

* 7: feature not supported:  SQLSTATE: HY000

So, i think the feature is not yet implemented.

HDB Version := 1.00.70.386321

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's what I said. It's not yet implemented.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

SAP does not support installing multiple DB's with different SID's in same HANA BOX for production systems. However, SAP supports this in case of non-production system from SPS5 onwards.

You can refer to SAP note 1681092 for more information.

Thanks,

Sunny