cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dock doors field length

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a requirement from business to increase dock door field length to 10. Is this possible from SAP stand point and impacts?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manish, Thanks for the reply!!!

Situation here is, my client is already using 3rd party software to manage WH and door numbers are 4-5 character length. They have more than 1000 dock doors.

I am already aware of all the information you have provided, like where used and global impact etc. If we change the field SAP will not support. If the field length is changed, do you think there will be any problem? what are the major impacts?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would recommend to search OSS with the keywords: extend field length

I have 583 hits - that is a first impression - this can either mean that the demand for changing field length is high, or the problems because of field changes are high.

Just read the subject lines and you may already get a feeling in which areas you may face issues. And always keep in mind that  these notes are about problems that came up because SAP had changed the length. You already know that SAP will not create notes for problems caused by customers who have changed the length.

Wouldn't  it make sense to ask SAP directly? Even the money you have to pay for such consulting service may be much less than the money you have to spend if something serious happens.

Sometimes it helps to think totally abstract. Imagine you found a wonderful cupboard, handmade, fully assembled, 240 cm high 500 cm length 80 depth, and your door is just 210 by 85 .

Now extend your door or do something with the cupboard.

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manu,

In my opinion it is not advisable as this is being used in some other standard SAP program and screen and you need to make the change there too in terms of data decleration and screen size. During my implementation i came across multiple scenario where business requested us for the same and we managed to convinece them to use and provide meanigul description of the door text. I am not sure what is ur requiremnt if you can share then we can think some alternate.