cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow peformance in VA01 - Large sales order

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are still in the implementation phase of our SAP project but I'm hoping someone could help me.

I'm having trouble with large sales orders, a 1,000 line item order takes roughly 1.5 hours to process. We have a need currently for sales order as large as 16,000 line items.

We are running a 4 x Power5+ 1.65Ghz PSeries server which is LPARed to give the AIX/SAP in question 2.2 CPU and 7GB of RAM.

My investigations are as follows:

When a single large order is being processed the CPU is around the 50% usage.

Looking at ST02, the nametab buffers have 0 swaps.

Hard disk activity looking from a AIX OS level and SAN level is average of 1%.

I can't work out why it is taking so long. Is there a system setting that allows the process to only use 50% of the CPU resources? Am I just asking too much from my system?

If anyone could give me some tips on how to further troubleshoot this issue I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohan

Usually VA01 takes much processing time.But 1.5 hrs is too long.You many need to check the following cases.

1.DB wait ime.

2.Monitor the buffer.

3.How is this table arranged?Tried splitting it in different disks?

4.Howz ur DB architecture?Control files and logs all are splitted properly?

I just assumed that ur facing this problem only with VA 01 and everything else is working fine.And also check tables like VBRK which is a billing table and VBAK is order table.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member197561
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

the CPU with 1.65Ghz is not very fast indeed. With a faster CPU you could have the pure CPU time spend on the task reduced by 50% at least.

The 7GB of RAM is a bit low for ABAP system, where usually more > 8 GB would fit better for initial system configuration. Check for swapping on OS level .

The processing of items is sequential task, this is why you could not see all CPUs (Cores) busy at the same time, but mostly 1 of them occupied...

Best regards,

Sylvia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohan,

you should first find out where the time is spent. Therefore you may consult the transaction STAD. Select your transaction VA01 your user and the corresponding time frame. You should get the corresponding statistic records of your transaction. You'll see how much time is spend for what (CPU, Wait, Roll, DB, GUI, ...) Then you should tune your system accordingly. If the DB is the problem, you may be need update statistics, If the Wait time is to high, you may be need more work processes and so on. You should also ask your consultant to check your environment.

Best regards

Ralph Ganszky