cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is shell creation still necessary?

Former Member
0 Kudos

TDMS experts:

Since DB snap can clone receiver so quickly, is the lengthy shell creation still necessary?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, shell creation is required only when if the repository of sender and receiver is not same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Will shell creation be removed from the tool set?  Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you please clarify from where you wanted to remove the shell creation ? If you have included the shell creation solution in your template then you can remove it from the template or you can also leave it as it is but then don't create the package for shell creation. It will not have impact on any of your other package.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess SAP will remove shell creation from the scenario list.

I think TDMS shell creation is more time-consuming than DB clone. Agree?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, shell creation will not be removed from the scenario list. Many customers are using it as it is really useful if sender system contain lots of application data and repository of sender and receiver is not in synch. Regarding time, shell creation basically uses system copy functions plus TDMS logic to cut off the client specific application data, so import export will take really very less time but yes it may take more time as compared to DB clone.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anita:

You say :

it is really useful if sender system contain lots of application data and repository of sender and receiver is not in synch.

Just curious, DB clone cannot handle above case?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lily,

As far as I know DB clone will copy the entire data base but as mentioned above shell creation will not copy the client specific application data. So, if sender system size is 4 TB then DB clone will copy entire 4 TB but shell will create a system with only cross client customizing plus client specific user and authorization data, which is only hardly 10% of the entire DB size.

Hope now its more clear as why shell creation is useful if sender system is really huge.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks! Happy holiday.

Answers (0)