cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Control chart

former_member224727
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Can we have live control chart in SAP? We are running process order(Insp lot) for multiple days. So obvious inspection lot will have hundreds of sample attached to each MICs. Our business wants to see live control chart in SAP if possible. So the moment we record sample value in SAP chart should go up or down accordingly entered value.

Attaching sample of chart which I found on google. Let me know if we can design or develop similar one in QM. Let me know if it will be standard function or have to make custom one.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member235613
Participant
0 Kudos

I just wanted to chime in and say we've had similar feelings about QM SPC charts that Craig explained. They are good to have in case an engineer or manager wants a visual peak at trends, or you want to valuate by strict SPC rules, but it is not ideal for a live shop floor display. We are starting to roll out SAP MII to our plants and so far we have had good experience with it. It is able to chart (multiple charts if you like) live QM data from ECC, along with many other sources of data (Historians, SQL db, etc.) It also has its own SPC "engine" so you can read just raw data from ECC and have MII do the SPC grunt work. The charts are also much more visually appealing (like your examples) vs. the SAP charts.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info on MII Jim.  If you get bored over the upcoming holidays a document on MII would be great to have.  Especially highlighting how to integrate with the ECC QM data and what some of the chart possibilities are.

Craig

former_member235613
Participant
0 Kudos

From a high level, it uses the standard QM-IDI function modules if you want to use it for actually recording results. Otherwise it uses BAPI's and RFC'c to exchange data from ECC. Here is an SAP doc specific to QM for your reading pleasure  http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a0d39f81-423d-2c10-428f-e702d83c0...

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dang it...!  Another book to read!!!! 

See.. always... always something more to learn!

Craig

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes and No.

Each time you record a value it is recorded.  But it is not updated in a "live" chart view as seen in process control equipment in control rooms.

In the configuration help file for the "Statistical Process Control" Node you will the following statement at the bottom of the config help.

"If the control limits are exceeded, the system creates a defect record or quality notification. Refer to the chapter Quality notifications, Defects recording for additional information."

So when a value is recorded that exceeds the control limits an automatic defect record can be created.  Since this is a notification, it can trigger workflow and as a result notifications to people as required.  It's not exactly real time and not the greatest process control process in the world.

But SAP never was designed to control and operate a live plant.  If you have one or two important values or process control points you want to monitor you could probably develop notifications and workflow to give you a workable solution.  But please don't try to control a chemical plant with it.  (At least not near where I live.    ).

Craig

former_member224727
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Does that mean Control chart support QC/QA reporting only?

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would say that's a fair statement.  It can monitor a live process if you want, especially if you do an automatic interface.  But I wouldn't advise it for a time critical process control application.  IMHO.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Could you explain this statement of urs "So when a value is recorded that exceeds the control limits an automatic defect record can be created.  Since this is a notification, it can trigger workflow and as a result notifications to people as required.  It's not exactly real time and not the greatest process control process in the world." Does it mean that as long as the first notification is created, the control chart stops ? and that you cannot record any more results for the MIC for which the control chart is running ?

Thanks

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No.. the chart chart should not be stopped.  It should simply create the notification.

Craig