Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nr of ABAP import jobs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I performed an
export of a (ABAP cental) system and now I am performing import of same system.

For export of system 32 ABAP import jobs was  ideal.

I wander is 32 ideal (or »not so bad«) also for import?

Machine is same (Bl860c
i2 servers with 2 itanium processors (9300 series) 4 cores in hyper threading
each (so in total 16 hyper threading cores)

Thank you a lot in advance

Jan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

This is one of those 'try and see' questions.  You will need to find out which is the maximum you can run so that the CPUs are running as near to 100% as possible and with a queue of jobs wating .  Bear in mind though that the import will take approximately twice as long as the export on the same kit.

regards

Graham

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Graham is true, there are no generic rules, by increasing the number of process at a certain point you can either

- overload the CPU, (and if the DBMS is on the same host R3load process will compete with DB process)

- reach I/O (and / or network if DBMS stands on a remote host) limits of the system

Best regards

1875778 - Performance Optimization for System Copy Procedures

Several R3load processes can be launched in parallel to export the packages. However, at a certain

point, increasing the number of processes will not help with the performance and has the opposite

effect. There is no direct way to determine the optimal number of processes.

A rule of thumb though is to use 3 times the number of available CPUs. If you want to find the optimal value, you can perform tests in similar environments (such as DEV system).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would take one per CPU  thread as you mentioned .

Machine is same (Bl860c

i2 servers with 2 itanium processors (9300 series) 4 cores in hyper threading

each (so in total 16 hyper threading cores)

So in your case 32 is valid but start with 16 and see how it goes and go up 26 not more.

You can optimise you database to get better result like getting more memory and session and processes in place.

Thanks

Rishi abrol

Answers (0)