cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PERFORMENCE ISSUE DUE TO SAP BACKUP ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We are taking Whole database online+redolog on tape drive (which is
directly connected to the server through with the fiber channel) backup
at generally 1 o'clock at daytime. It would take around 2 hours to
complete the backup.

Sometimes users start complaining that system got slow and they were
complaining about slow performance of the system, is there any impact of
the database backup on the performance of the system.

Please suggest , as this is very serious concern for us.

Regards

Rajat Jain

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Adding to what John has mentioned, backups are expensive read operations. Check with your storage team and analyze the I/O per Sec(IOPS) during the time you run backups. It may be crossing the threshold of your storage system thus causing I/O performance to be bad, you can check the I/O performance in DBAcockpit transaction as well. check if you see it abnormally high during the backup.

You can also check with them if they have any storage applications for snapshots/split mirror backups etc. (Each storage vendor has its own). It basically creates a mirror your database drives and then uses the mirror to take backup thus minimizing the impact on your original system. Also it works at the storage level integrating with the RDBMS to take consistent online and offline backups. Of-course if your company does not already own it, the software will come at a cost, not to mention additional storage cost.

regards

Yogesh

former_member257798
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rajat,
It seems that you are in search of lower level readings from the hardware. The following SAP notes have details regarding this:
1286256 - How-to: Using Performance Monitor
1425373 - Performance Monitors for EPM-PCM

Please understand that the monitors listed in 1425373 are just examples and you might want to expand or contract the set of counters that you use. The services listed in that note are specific to the PCM product. So, you will have to determine what is the area to monitor based on server type and product installed. Often people on this path go through multiple iterations of counters till they find the subset that suits their needs.

To answer your question about the behind the scenes work during a backup… During backups certain functions of a database are restricted. This occurs because the database locks records or tables as part of normal backup operations. Thus, a user wanting to know something that requires a query to a locked resource will experience a delay in the response. There are some tricks that can be employed to minimize this however, most backup routines put a heavy load on the DB server sort of like adding lots of users. A more technical discussion on the matter is out there on the various DB forums.

Kind Regards,
John Harris
Senior Support Engineer, SAP Active Global Support,
SAP America, Inc., 1001 Summit Blvd, #2100, Atlanta, GA 30319, USA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do Any one suggest any sap note or any other document throgh whic i can able to know how to check the competion between CPU, I/O , MEMORY , which affected the performance of the database.

Regards

Rajat Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi ,

Thanks for your reply, I know that generally online backups taken during low activity hours , but mine concern is to have one solid reason that for which reason we are doing that thing.

Means I would like to know that what are the things those are happened behind the scene.

Regards

Rj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts ,

Please suggest as this is serious concern for us.

We are eagerly waiting for your valuable inputs.

Regards

Rj

former_member235680
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rajat,

Backups are generally taken during the low user activity. Why dont you shift the backup timings to late evenings rather than taking it at 01:00PM?

Thanks
Abhi