cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xMII change management

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am curious what others are doing for change management. I have set up developement, test, QA, and production environements. I have been manually copying transactions and templates and then manually editing configurations. Is there a better way? Is there a good way to audit what is currently configured in eac environement? I have configured some reports for auditing security etc., but I need something more comprehensive. Anyway, any feedback from others in this area would be of interest.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your input. It is always nice to get others ideas. Thanks again.

sufw
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sargent,

take a look at a previous thread called "Development Landscape ..or.. Version Control with Subversion" for a related discussion.

We use the Subversion code control system to manage all the xMII "source code" (e.g. query/display templates, business logic transactions, irpt/JSP pages, etc.) as well as xMII configuration and binaries.

All development is done locally and checked into the Subversion system. The servers are then updated by updating from the Subversion repository. This is coordinated using a defect management system; i.e. the dev server is updated nightly or as required, the test server is updated before testing begins, once testing is done, the prod server is updated from the repository.

Subversion keeps track of which files were changed when and by whom and allows for easy roll-back of any changes.

In addition to the "source code", we also keep most xMII configuration files in Subversion so we can prevent unintentional changes from propagating into the servers.

Hope the above helps somewhat for the change management aspect of your question.

Sascha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the input. Using version control software is a good idea. Anyone have a good way to do audits?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergant,

In one of our previous projects we did this thing. You can use this audit trail for any client. What we did was we have developed a DB and query templates to insert the user logged in and time of the login using the session variable concept. In the home page we were checking the session variable already exists or not. If not exist that means he is logging in, then punch the data into the database. To get entry for the Logout user should use the Logout button only, if user clicks on Logout, you can punch the logout entry. After making this we have provided a UI for the admin to audit the entries.

Thanks,

Rajesh.

sufw
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

a similar log (minus the logout information) is already available in xMII and can be accessed via the Security Manager (Security Services > Security Manager from the main menu) under System Management > View Login Log. This log shows you who logged in and allows you to differentiate between username/password logins from the login page and single sign-on logins from SAP Portal and other systems.

The general xMII audit logs also provide some basic information on changes made to xMII's setup. The general audit log (Main Menu > Log Management > Audit Log) show modifications to templates, transactions, etc. as well as who made them and when.

The security audit log (Main Menu > Security Services > Security Manager > System Management > Audit Log) shows the same information for changes made to users, roles, attributes, etc.

Regards,

Sascha