cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting data from a url into an xstring variable

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I would like to get the data at a url into an xstring variable/context node element. The url is actually an SAP Content Repository address, if that makes any difference. I'm able to generate the url with security keys and display it - the only issue outstanding is that I also have a requirement to bring the data in. Does anyone know how this can be done with Web Dynpro for ABAP? Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sascha,

I am facing a similar problem (described below). Can you please think of what i might be missing here?

I want to pass parameters to my ABAP Webdynpro application. The steps i have taken to make it happen are as below.

1) I have one Window in my application and i have defined 4 parameters for the HANDLEDEFAULT method which is method for the default inbound plug DEFAULT that is marked as interface startup plug.

2) I have defined a node (CONTENT) in Windows context with four attributes to hold incoming application parameters.

3) I have implemented HANDLEDEFAULT as below to update the Windows context with app params.

data lr_node type ref to if_wd_context_node.

data ls_content type if_zw_disp_form=>element_content.

• get parameter values

ls_content-im_form_scnr = im_form_scnr.

ls_content-im_form_scnr_vers = im_form_scnr_vers.

ls_content-im_step_guid = im_step_guid.

ls_content-im_wi_id = im_wi_id.

• get reference to context node

lr_node = wd_context->get_child_node( 'CONTENT' ).

• bind element data

lr_node->bind_element( new_item = ls_content ).

4) The only view i have for my application is MAIN. I am using Windows controller as one of the controllers for this view.

5) I have defined four parameters for application with default values for them.

Everything seems to be in order to me, but when i start my application, HANDLEDEFAULT method of Window in my application is not being called (I tried setting a breakpoint, it does not stop therE).

Since the HANDLEDEFAULT method is not called, Windows context is not update, and i am unable to use these parameters inside my application.

Appreciate your help,

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Sascha.

Sorry, maybe this will make it clearer: The url is a TIFF image of a scanned document. I would like to get the binary data that makes up that TIFF image into a WD attribute or local variable of type XSTRING. This is needed because the requirement is that the users should be able to email these TIFF images without necessarily opening them in any Viewer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keith.

Now i get you.

Well, I guess this is nothing WebDynpro specific cause you just want to download

binary data from a URL. I guess there are some FMs or Classes which will offer

functionality for this.

Are the Images inside the Mime Repository of a service in your system? Then you

could check classes like CL_W3_API_MIME. But it is just a guess, I am not

sure ...

Anyway, reporst this question in Abap General or so ..

Cheers,

Sascha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

I am not sure whether I got you right.

But if you want to pass parameters to a WebDynpro application wich you call with

your generated URL you just have to define the parameters in the corresponding

window of the application.

Just go to the InboundPlug which is marked as start up plug. Open the

corresponding handler method (e.g. handledefault).

In the signature of the handler method define the parameters you want to read from

the URL. Make sure that the naming is exactly as in URL, then everything will be

mapped automatically and you are able to bind these values in the context of the

window controllwer which can be used in any other view of the component thru

usage definition.

Hope this is what needed.

Cheers,

Sascha