cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SapGUI 730 patches and hotfixes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Respected!

I have a working SapGui server. I havent patched it since spring.

Do I have to apply all patches and hotfixes from then or just the

last ones, with higher patch numbers?!

Thank You!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member194094
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Matej,

You just need to apply the latest SapSetup patch (see note 1587566) and the latest SAP GUI patch latest available at [service.sap.com/patches] onto your installation server.

-> Entry by Application Group

-> SAP Frontend Components

-> SAP GUI FOR WINDOWS

Kind regards,

Eric

NW Clients moderator

0 Kudos

Hi Matej

Just to clearify. In order you have the installation service on the clients, they would receive the update at next check... Perhabs you should have a "testing" installation server.

Regards,

Michi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, to both! And thank You for quick response!

I suposed so, when i have compared the info about patches, but wasn't sure though.

A test server is a good idea! How is with the option Disable auto workstation update? Is this still ireversible otion? And if you stop the distribution service, is it possible to start it back?

And in my Products tab, CommandLineName is still SAPGUI710. How does this change to 730?

Thank you!

BR!

mat

0 Kudos

Hey Matej

Glad, that I could help you.

You are not able to change the command line name of a package unless you recreate it using a different name. This is because it is used as the unique key to a pacakge.

Nevertheless, as I upgraded a customer's client, I recreated the packages for "backward compatibility", exporting the old packages as single file installers.

So far, I never disabled the auto workstation update procedure in the production nor the test environment. For the testing, I attached a few Key Users as well as the module responsibles, as they need to test a new release first. The SAP Basis has independent SAP GUI installation for early check and creation of Security files, registry configurations and so on.

Best regards,

Michi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello again!

After try to apply latest patch, i get this:

Where can i get the info, what components are missing?

Thank's for your kindnes!

With BR!

Matt

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

You might want to open this as a new question to encourage more people to find it and answer.  However, off the cuff, did you apply the latest sapsetup patch before applying the latest sapgui patch?  As Eric mentioned, you will always want to keep both up-to-date, not just one or the other.  I haven't seen the error you mention before, but I would imagine having too old a sapsetup patch would be a likely cause.

By the way, the latest sapsetup patches supposedly enabled the ability to disable and then re-enable the automatic workstation update without having to use external means to push a reinstall of the service.  I haven't actually tested this capability myself, though.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank's Matt!

I used NwUpdateInstServer.exe and after succesful verifying of shared path, returns error: The update of your installation server completed with erorrs! It returns the code 48 in log file, wich is the commmon error...so i'm in the fog. What is the right way to update sapsetup? Where are these update patches? I wanted to update the installation server it self to higher version, but just can't find them. Or does mean aply the sapsetup patch also patch the installation server?

You mean, i can stop the distribution service from the instalation server menu and after aplying the patches, start it again?

Thank You very much!

regards!

matt

With best regards!

Martina_Gállego
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Check sapnote 1587566 - Installation problems with SapSetup Version 9.0 as Eric mentioned.

There you can find information to update sapsetup.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Martina

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To download the correct set of patches, navigate to http://service.sap.com/swdc -> Support Packages and Patches -> Browse our Download Catalog -> SAP Frontend Components -> SAP GUI FOR WINDOWS -> SAP GUI FOR WINDOWS 7.30 CORE.  Don't drill down yet to the Win32 link.  On the Info Page you will see a list of components, including SAPSetup 9.0.  Click the provided link to the right of that one.  This will open up a new tab with a list of sapsetup patches to choose from.  Currently patch levels 39 and 45 are offered, so choose 45.  There are three different versions of the patch to choose.  Since you mentioned you are using the Automatic Workstation Update, you need the one that includes that, which is the "P2" version, so download SAPSETUP90P2SP00_45-20008539.EXE.

Now you can close that tab, returning to the original page.  Click the Win32 link.  This brings you to the list of core SAPGUI patches.  Download the latest patch and hotfix, currently pl8 hotfix 1:  gui730_08_1-10010496.exe.

Now you have two patches to apply.  Don't click directly on either executable you just downloaded, and don't run NwUpdateInstServer (that's for upgrading whole version levels of products, or installing new products, not for applying patches to existing version levels).  Instead, navigate to the \Setup folder of your installation server, and run NwSapSetupAdmin.exe.  This is the main tool you will use to manage your installation server.

Click the button for Patch Server.  This will open a wizard for applying patches to the installation server itself.  Follow the prompts to apply FIRST the sapsetup patch, and then when that's done, hit the button again to apply the sapgui patch.  In each case you just navigate, within the wizard, to the exe file you downloaded and select that.  The wizard will extract the files needed to a temporary directory, validate them, then apply them to the server.  It will automatically close NwSapSetupAdmin while it's applying the patches, then reopen the tool again when it's done.

At this point, if you have clients running the Automatic Workstation Update Service that were installed from this server, then within about 24 hours they should prompt users to apply the patches.  Depending on how you set up your AWUS configuration, it may perform the patch unattended if they are logged out but left the workstation running.

This is all independent of the distribution service.  That is for installing and patching clients when the users do not have local administrator rights to their own workstations, and it requires its own special setup.  If the distribution service is active when you apply a patch to the installation server, then you will need to reboot the server afterwards, so if you use this service, I recommend stopping the distribution service first, then applying all your patches, then restarting it (which requires reconfiguring it, but it's not difficult).  This way you can generally avoid a server reboot, which is a good thing.

If, after applying these patches, you still get errors, then we will need to troubleshoot that separately.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

Thank You very much for Your help and so exact informations!

I will work on it next week, couldn't till now....

I wish You all nice weekend!

matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I can thank You again Matt!

I have patched the server with no error, exept i had to reboot the server, probably because of my previous actions...

I will report after succesfull awus on the client!

PS: If the manual was written so clearly...

With best regards!

matt

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The reboot was likely due to having the Distribution Service running while you applied the patch.  You're right, I don't think this is clearly spelled out in the manuals.  Anyway, if you stop the Distribution Service (through the menu links in NwSapSetupAdmin) before you apply patches, then you shouldn't have to reboot.  You'll then have to start the Distribution Service again afterwards, which requires reconfiguring it (basically, supplying the username and password that it uses).  Note that the Distribution Service is optional:  it's only required if you have users who do not have local administrator rights to their workstations.

Anyway, glad to hear it's going better!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

Thank You!

With best regards!

ps: if U ever come to Slovenia, i'm buying a beer!

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've heard the beer in that part of the world is excellent!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt, you are welcome!!

I have another one. Now, the AWUS is making troubles on both of mine test machines.

Please check the log file atached (rename the ending).

I had similar log in past, but the update worked with AWUS.

Can or should I stop the DS on installation server if i use the AWUS?

Thank You!

BR!

matt

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

AWUS and DS should work just fine together.  What seems to be happening is an inability to connect to your installation server.

In the #2 log (actually created first), the update process is running under your administrator account, so the DS doesn't really come into play here.  However, almost immediately the process exits with the error message (translated from Slovenian, thank you Google Translate!) "Service process could not connect to the service controller."  This may well be related to the error your #1 log gets.

In #1, the update process runs as SYSTEM.  It's also an older patch level of sapsetup, but that is probably what you're trying to test the update of, right?  This time you are getting the classic error "\\<server>\<share>\setup is not a valid sapsetup folder."  This usually means that the share permissions on the server folder are incorrectly set.  Since this process is running as SYSTEM, it has local administrator privileges to the workstation, but it doesn't necessarily have any domain level access permissions.  So, it's possible the permissions on the server share are preventing the update service from finding the \setup folder.

Try giving the Everyone AD group Read-Only access to the share (and Administrators should have Read-Write), and then restart the update service (or reboot the workstation) and see what happens.

--Matt