cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are messages with "Terminated with error" eligible to be deleted?

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

At the TCode SXMB_ADM > Define Interfaces for Archiving and Retention Periods

Inside the transaction there's an information icon and when we click the information icon, a performance assistant window will popup. Reading the information I found the following sentence:

"XML messages that do not have the status Processed Successfully remain in the database."

Does this mean the messages that is eligible to be deleted are those processed successfully? What about the messages in the terminated with error status?

If I'm not mistaken, the terminated messages are in the final status too since we cannot reprocess them.

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi,

Think in this way,If any message got failed in PI:-There could be multiple reason

• Data Issue::-Sometimes message failed with improper Data.Please check the payload.
  • Mapping Issue:-There could be wrong mapping.Please check the mapping in ESR.
  • Background Job:-Background job is not completed or terminated in between.You can check with Basis.They will let you if there  are any background  related issue.
  • Network Issue:-Sometimes,connectivity between sender and receiver is not there so you can check with your network team they will check the logs,traces,VPN and will let you know if there is any network issue.

Once you know,why this message failed,analysis the root cause and if required by the business you can reporocessed the message.

And incase  you dont require these message than you can ask your basis team they will run a background job and all the message related to that interface will get deleted or archieved as per your requirement.

Basis team can set the retation period.You can take their help.

Regards,

Abhi 

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhinav,

Thank you for the reply.

Do you have the documentation / Can you show me on how to delete un-wanted messages?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi,

Please go through this below link.

http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2010/04/22/archiving-deletion-of-messages-in...

Please let me know if you are facing any issue while setting up the retation period.

I will guide you,how to archieve the message from PI.Basis will do the rest in setting up the retaion period.

You can also delete the full load data/messages which are not important from Queue(while doing this ask you basis team to clean the queue and do the register and de register activity part also)

Regards,

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

One workaround  to do  force deletion is

http://<pihost>:<port>/MessagingSystem/archiving/reorgdb.jsp

Delete for messages over Retention Policy :

SAP XI AF CORE --> idmapRemover.checkInterval = Number of messages

The default persist duration is 30 days and it  can be changed with the persistDuration properties of the J2EE service: "SAP XI Adapter: XI"

table XI_AF_MSG_AUDIT

Regards,

Abhi

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

*This is only for adapter engine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

Please go through this link.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e0afdd69-a8a7-2d10-7e9a-cbf6fa21c...

Please call me on my +91-9980646555 incase you need any help.

Regards,

Abhi

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I just wanted to highlight that the link you suggested (

http://<pihost>:<port>/MessagingSystem/archiving/reorgdb.jsp

Delete for messages over Retention Policy :

SAP XI AF CORE --> idmapRemover.checkInterval = Number of messages

) is only for deleting messages on Java stack but i'm not looking for guide

Thanks for your reply though..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes this is for java stack but if you want to delete it from abap stack,follow the steps in mentioned in document.

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, actually the terminated with error messages are those messages that I cancel.

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As you have cancelled the messages that means they are in final state and based on your configuration they will be archived ->deleted or deleted directly.

As per the note 872388 - Troubleshooting Archiving and Deletion in PI

In general only messages with a final status can be deleted. Asynchronous messages in error cannot be deleted and have to be cancelled first. While in the Integration Engine (ABAP) asynchronous messages that were manually cancelled or changed have to be archived they will be per default be deleted directly in the Adapter Framework.

As stated before manually cancelled or manually changed messages (status 019 and 021) have to be archived. Due to Note 1850046 manually changed messages have to be either reprocessed or cancelled before they are considered for archiving. In general you always have to configure archiving to handle manually edited or cancelled messages. Should you decide (for non-productive systems only) that you would like to delete these manually cancelled messages, please refer to Note 820149.

Please refer to the note and i hope it helps.

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

If the manually cancelled message will be deleted/archived automatically. Then why would we always have to configure archiving to handle manually edited or cancelled messages?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi - I think a small confusion here. Nothing is automatic in IE for async messages.

You must configure archive/delete jobs to archive/delete them.

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hareesh,

Do you mean the background job configuration? At least the background job to archive / delete the messages should be configured?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi,

yes. you should.

Regards,

Muniyappan.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwandi - Yes. You need to configure them.

By default only sync messages will be deleted.

Muniyappan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Terminated with error means message got failed. you need to find the root cause of it and try process the message. if not possible to re process then you can cancel the message.

Does this mean the messages that is eligible to be deleted are those processed successfully

yes.

check these links.

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/XI/Examining+the+status+of+messages+in+a+PI+system

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/EN/0e/80553b4d53273de10000000a114084/content.htm

Regards,

Muniyappan.

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suwani - you need to cancel them. then they will be deleted.

Terminated with error is not a final state and they wont get deleted.