Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical Monitoring - Monitor Growing of DB/FS

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I would like to create a metric which shows the growing of a Database and also the growing of a filesystem (e.g. per hour).

Does anyone know how to create this kind of metric?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It would also be useful info to provide with the host and DB platforms that you are working with; also a question for you, do the out of the box templates not provide the metrics that you are looking for in SolMan?

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Billy,

oh yes, for sure.

We are using sybase and HP-UX.

The have a lot of metrics regarding space management.

But only about left space or used space.

But i also would like to have a check, which checks the growing.

You understand?

So maybe a file system check will create an alert by 500 mb and currently 2gb are available.

And at 3pm a colleague activates e.g. an audit-log which is creating a lot of data.

So durring the night the space would definitly not be enough.

In that case the alert regarding left space would react in the night.

But the growing-check would already react in time.

We already had some cases like this, that filesystems and db was growing unnormal.

Therefore I would like to have a check like this.

Kind regards

Vivek_Hegde
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

I agree there are many metrices available for Space Management. Using these metrices you can have the growth rate related alerts. For example there is this below metrc;

Filesystem Free Space Ratio: Free space available on all filesystems used by the SAP Sybase ASE database server measured in percent of the filesystem size.

If you set this alert (let's say 20%) then whenever the free space ratio falls below 20% then the alert would be triggered. In your case when the Audit log job fills up the DB/FS then at certain threshold (defined by you) alerting is triggered.

I suggest you to take a fresh look at all the available metrices under Sybase template.

Regards,

Vivek

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Christian, I think what you are after is easily accomplished; you just need to change the threshold from numerica types to a delta type.  Here is a screenshot of what I am referring to:

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Billy,

will this also change the graphic so that it displays the growing?

Or only the alert-limit?

KR

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not sure what graphic you have in mind?

Also not sure about the alert-limit; lets say you put in 50 Mb for value increases more, I'm not sure if the time frame is when you apply the alert or it bases the 50 Mb increase upon the data collection point...Off the top of my head I would lean towards 50 Mb increase upon data collection.

As a test you could set the data collection to 5 min and set 25, 50, 100 Mb values in the threshold, turn off auto incidents/notifications/etc, watch the alert inbox to see if the threshold is triggered.  Then verify if it triggers again with the same 25, 50, 100 value or if it just tacks on to the original.

Answers (0)