Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 1423269 - Consumption and Unit of measure

former_member215376
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have an issue about forecast consumption regarding the unit of measure. In ECC, the PGIed quantity was in Bottles but APO is in Cases. The quantity is okay as both systems reflect the same (e.g 100 in ECC and 100 in APO). However, as I've said, the 100 in ECC is in Bottles and the 100 in APO is in Cases. Hence, forecast consumption results is not calculating correctly in the Forecast tab of RRP3.

With the above issue, I found this note 1423269 that says that the only resolution for the above issue is to have the unit of measure the same in both systems. Of course, business would not like that setup and we must find a way to convert that quantity correctly in APO. I'm thinking of getting the Unit of Measure field in table /SAPAPO/DP_SCHED but not sure how to do it and our ABAP team still lookng into this. This is the first step and then after that is to use a user exit to convert the quantity found in the table to desired unit of measure for the material used.

Is that a correct solution? Can you share if you have the same scenario and how did you resolve it? Hoping for a great discussion on this. Thank you.

Regards,

AA

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is your PIR originated from APO or ECC? You need to make sure the quantity matches during CIF of PIRs (originated from ECC) or during forecast release (originated from APO). It is late to consider UOM during consumption step. It seems that you are checking the withdrawal quantity. You should take care of UOM conversion when sales order, delivery, and PGI is CIFed to APO.

former_member215376
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Ada Lv,

I will check on the conversion first on the Sales Order and Delivery prior to PGI. Question though on PIR, what is the relationship of the PIR to forecast consumption? What I know is that PIR is used for automatic t-lane creation and source of supply in APO. Can you share detailed thoughts on PIR? Thanks!

Regards,

AA

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, PIR is a R/3 term which means planned independent requirement, corresponding to the forecasts in APO.

former_member215376
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thought that PIR is Purchase Info Rec. But no, PIR or planned independent requirements are coming from APO and it's completely matching. Sales Order and Delivery are matching too. The only problem is when it is PGIed for example, 100 PGIed Bottles is CIFed to APO as 100 Cases. No conversion is happening indeed.

As I've said, in the database table of APO the quantity is 100 as well. I'm not sure though why there's no UoM field in that table. Would that mean that the fix/enhancement should happen in ECC first?

Thanks,

AA

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, in APO, everything is in base UOM. So you don't see the UOM at all (e.g. in product view /sapapo/rrp3).

Do you mean the unit conversion works when sales order and delivery are CIFed to APO, but no unit conversion happens when PGI is CIFed?

former_member215376
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, Sales Order and Delivery seems fine but when PGIed the qty in ECC is not converted when it CIFed to APO.

Thanks,

AA

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately I did not find any location specific setting regarding shelf life

former_member215376
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ada Lv,

What about shelf-life? Anyway, Sales order and Delivery are converting correctly.

Thanks,

AA

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

AA,

The note to which you refer does not seem to cover the problem you describe. It deals with planning with a planning material; where the Planning Material has a different  base unit of measure than the FERT base unit of measure.

So, are you using APO strategy 40/ECC strategy 60 or 63, as mentioned in the note?  Do you have planning materials with differnt BUMs from your FERTs?

Of course, business would not like that setup and we must find a way to convert that quantity correctly in APO

Can you please elaborate?  Why would the business want the BUM to be different in the two systems?  Your problems will not only be forecast consumption, but every single transactional data object that is exchanged between ECC and APO.

You normally deal with such issues using common BUMs between ECC and APO and then use alternate units of measurement for sales, purchasing, etc.  This method is supported transparently without enhancement.

Best regards,

DB49

former_member215376
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DB49,

Here is the actual scenario. We have two different ECC systems with one APO target. The first ECC system has this BUoM of BOT (Bottles) whilst the second has BT (Bottles). In APO, only BT is available.

In Test Environment, we've tried to rebuild & update the UoM through 'Transfer Global Settings' to get both BT and BOT but we still have the same issue (i.e. PGIed qty in ECC of 100 BOT is the withdrawal qty in APO of 100 CS). Can you comment whether we performed a correct approach?

Also, I'm not sure but I believe the BT and BOT has an effect as to why conversion of withdrawal qty is not working. Currently, there's no issue on other transactional data reported by the business but I will further check. Will keep you posted. Thanks!

Regards,

AA

Former Member
0 Kudos

AA,

You didn't answer my question about strategy.  You also didn't answer my question about why the business wants different Base Units of Measure between ECC and APO.  In this context, it seems that the BT/BOT issue is irrelevant.

It is OK to have BT BUOM in ECC system X for Material A; and CIF to APO.

It is OK to have BOT BUOM in ECC system Y for Material B; and CIF to APO.

It is NOT OK to have BT BUOM in ECC system X for material A; and BOT in ECC system Y for Material A, and then try to CIF Material A data from both systems into APO. SAP doesn't really support this in unenhanced standard.

Are you saying that the BUOM in the APO Product Master is different from the ECC Material Master BUOM?  How did you arrange for that to happen?

Where do your forecasts originate; one or both of the ECC systems; or SCM DP? Or....?  As mentioned by expert Ada, PGI is normally done in BUOM in ECC, and BUOM should be the same in ECC as it is in APO for any single material.

Best Regards,

DB49

former_member215376
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi DB49,

The strategy is 20 (backwards). When I joined the company, the setup is already like this. Does changing the BUoM in any of the system will eliminate the issue? But what will bethe further impact on the business side?

As for the Sales Order and Delivery, business didn't report any issue on it but I will further check.

Thanks,

AA

former_member215376
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sales Order and Delivery are converting correctly.

Regards,

AA

former_member215376
Participant
0 Kudos

The conversion of the Sales Order/Deliver is because of the enhancement done in synchronizing both systems.

Former Member
0 Kudos

AA,

This is as I suspected.  You will most likely need an enhancement to manage the consumption issue as well.

Changing BUOM of selected materials in one of your ECCs (so as to make them consistent) is not a trivial task, but in my opinion, if you have time and resources available for this task, you will in the long run be better off.

On the other hand, you can always take the position that maintaining multiple enhancements in perpetuity provides job security for functional analysts and developers.

Best Regards,

DB49

former_member182607
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I think this message has become a little confsuing because of misundertsanding of multiple instances,PIR, Strategy and other things. But one thing I do not understand is how did Base UoMs differ between APO and ECC. Having correct conversions maintained for different UoMs one should be able to see in RRP3 whichever UoM they want to see the information in.

Should the threard be started again with more precise information?

Thanks,

Subash

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I agree with DB49. Just as I said, it is too late to handle this situation in consumption phase, you'll have to handle this in an ealier phase - CIF of PGI.

former_member215376
Participant
0 Kudos

Indeed. We already find th user exit for this. Thanks a lot for your help. We can close now this thread.

kenneth_snyder
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure what you mean?   Are you saying the product has different base uom between ecc and APO?   How is that possible?

former_member215376
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kenneth,

Yes APO for that material has Base Unit of Measure of Cases whilst ECC has Base Unit of Measure of Bottles.

Thanks,

AA