Hi,

Environment Production High Availability

Product: SAP ERP 6.0 EHP6

Cluster: Node1 and Node2 (Active - Active) - Microsoft Cluster

Operating System: Windows server 2012

Database: MS SQL Server 2012

Cluster: Node 1 and Node 2(Active - Passive) - Microsoft Cluster

Operating System: Windows Server 2012

We are planning to implement above setup in our production environment. I have couple of questions to get clarify my self before proceed to implement above solution.

Questions related to Database

1. Is it possible to setup database (Active-Passive) in a separate cluster ? Not using SAP Nodes.

2. Is it their any disadvantages of doing separate cluster for database ?

3. If we go with separate Database cluster while installing central instance which database node I have to select and how it works during failover ?

4. If I install database in Node 1 what I have to do in Node 2 ? Do I need to repeat same steps ?

Question Related to Hardware for budgeting

1. For the above scenario Do I need 4 blades ?

2. Do I need separate Blade for each additional app server ?

Questions Related to DR

1. Do I need to setup DR same as production (4 separate blades and additional blade for separate application server) ?

2. Totally I need 8 blades to implement Production and DR with out additional app servers it it correct ?

Questions Relate QA and Staging

1. Is it really require to implement QA and staging similar to Prod and DR (On cluster) ?

Thank You,

Phanikumar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Reddy

As you asked question & answer

1. Is it possible to setup database (Active-Passive) in a separate cluster? Not using SAP Nodes.

Yes it’s possible but one again you are going to spend some amount money, best way you can keep the SAP cluster node. It will have three virtual names

1. a) Failover cluster group
  2. b) MS SQL cluster group
  3. c) SAP Cluster group

2. Is it there any disadvantages of doing separate cluster for database?

Before starting the SAP Application you have check the Database server on.

Any software update you may require to do all four nodes

Network connection should not have any issue during the time of application access

Maintenance tasks are more.

3. If we go with separate Database cluster while installing central instance which database node I have to select and how it works during failover?

Database installation steps it will  create a virtual name with that you are going to access, as mention in the SAP installation master guide

4. If I install database in Node 1 what I have to do in Node 2 ? Do I need to repeat same steps?

In MS Sql cluster installation steps are slight different than normal installations, for this installation also you can refer the SAP Master installation guide of  MS Sql

Question Related to Hardware for budgeting

1. For the above scenario Do I need 4 blades?

If you are planning to implement the database and SAP application on different two cluster environment

2. Do I need separate Blade for each additional app server?

Based on you requirement, before starting just do the Quick seizer guide

Questions Related to DR

1. Do I need to setup DR same as production (4 separate blades and additional blade for separate application server)?

Once again DR in fail of HA in that case you setup the DR in Standalone environment

2. Totally I need 8 blades to implement Production and DR without additional app servers it it correct?

Based on you requirement, in my environment we have HA in Cluster & DR Standalone SAP installations

Questions Relate QA and Staging

1. Is it really required to implement QA and staging similar to Prod and DR (On cluster)?

It’s not require to keep the QA same as production environment

Regards

Sriram