Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused on SAP Netweaver Installtion

bharathyp
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all I would like to begin by saying that I am new to the world of SAP NW I come from traditional understanding of SAP R/3 and ECC versions, BUT, nothing about NW.

So i know that SAP NW is for HCM, SCM and CRM and such.

And ECC 6.0 is for the traditional modules like FICO, PM and such

So my question is this. Currently I have a IDES ECC 6.0 ehp4 on windows2008r2 and it is running fine. Oh, btw it is running on ABAP stack, below image might be more descriptive this is using Oracle DB btw

So i want to install SAP NW 7.4 using Oracle, so was wondering can i install on the same Virtual Machine as my IDES ECC 6.0? or have to be on a spearate machine? Tks

So am I right to say that this NW 7.4 can run on its own with out having a ECC 6.0 system? Cause what I am thinking is that lets say HR module is already present in the ECC version and HCM is part of NW buisness suite, so the data of HR have to be used for HCM (this might be really a silly question but sorry I am more of a HW and then slowly progressed to SAP Basis guy)

I also know that it is possible to have dual-stack, but this has been continued from NW 7.4, except for PI, so what does that mean?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nikhil_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. NW 7.4 SID (System ID) must be different that of IDES

2. NW74 might be a preview version whereas your ECC is IDES with sample data for practicing.

3. For NW74 PI supports dual-stack i.e. java and ABAP stack under single SID (System ID)

regards,

Nikhil

bharathyp
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Nikhil,

Thanks for that your remark regarding

the SID has to be different explains most important question of all.

So please correct me on the following this that I assume, If I am wrong.

So I can't obviously install NW 7.4 on my present IDES system.

Secondly one question  still remains at large is where do the NW 7.4 get the data from? I mean the company can start using NW as standalone product?

Yup pretty much that sums up my questions tks again for ur time

nikhil_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Adding to Yves post:

NW (NetWeaver) is a technical component reference, even your ECC 6 has it. Now coming to ECC, it has applications, interfaces and tables serve different modules such as MM, SD, FI, HR.

And NW 7.4 is technical upgrade of SAP's Application component facilitates additional technical capabilities and enhancements to existing box.

Last point, in real world existing ECC's technical compoenent/stack is upgraded to new version (see versions in Yves post).

Hope it helps..

Brindavan_M
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

So please correct me on the following this that I assume, If I am wrong.

So I can't obviously install NW 7.4 on my present IDES system.

Yes , You can install NW7.4 present same server not inculde in IDEAS. if you have a good hardware than you can gohead and install NW7.4 by creating a new database at present server.

Make it simple SAP ECC is core component that you can include BI,PI ,EP with ECC during first installation. This way SAP comeup with that and the New dimensional product are called SRM,CRM and SCM ,MI etc... are

Before it was separated from starting version like 4.6,4.7E and BIW XI..

Even you can add HCM in ECC6.0 with differnt client using addon.

Mostly  the good system landscape i install separated which will not affect the business...

Last point, in real world existing ECC's technical compoenent/stack is upgraded to new version (see versions in Yves post).

yes, You have to follow for latest patch or upgrade the ECC and other component to use new innovation ad bug fixing.

Thanks,

BM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Gentlemen,

sorry for late reply, was away.

Thank you for your help and clarification.

If possible, would you please confirm that the required media list for that installation is something like:

SAP Netweaver 7.4

51049350_5     SAP Kernel 7.42 Linux on x86_64 64bit

51048524_6     NW 7.4 SR2 Java 1/2

51048524_7     NW 7.4 SR2 Java 2/2

51045590 NW AS ABAP for Suite/NW 7.4 - Enhancement Packages (do I need this one?)

EHP7 FOR SAP ERP 6.0

51048902_1     SAP ERP 6.0 EHP7 SR2Installation Export I 1/2

51048902_2     SAP ERP 6.0 EHP7 SR2Installation Export I 2/2

51048902_3     SAP ERP 6.0 EHP7 SR2Installation Export II

51048902_4     SAP ERP 6.0 EHP7 SR2 Language I 1/2

51048902_5     SAP ERP 6.0 EHP7 SR2 Language I 2/2

51048902_6     SAP ERP 6.0 EHP7 SR2 Language II 1/2

51048902_7     SAP ERP 6.0 EHP7 SR2 Language II 2/2

51048902_8     SAP ERP 6.0 EHP7 SR2 Language III

51048902_15   BS7i2013 SR2 Java Components - NW 7.4

51048902_16   SAP ERP 6.0 EHP7 SR2 SAP Components

This is to run under Oracle Linux 5/6 and ORACLE DB (ASM), eventually, productive might end up in Oracle Exadata and Exalogic.

Assuming that at the end, with this media, I'll get both the ECC6 EHP7 and the ADS.

Thank you.

Joao

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi João

You will need the Oracle client media (51048610 ORACLE Client 11.2.0.4 V2  )

Media 51045590 should not be useful as it is quite outdated

Best regards

0 Kudos

Yves,

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Joao

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And do not forget the SWPM (SWPM*.SAR)... and the 742 kernel as you are installing a 740 SR3 version.

https://service.sap.com/sltoolset -> Software Logistics Toolset 1.0 -> Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 -> Download tool

Good luck with your installation...

0 Kudos

Thanks Yves!

Installation went ok..well part of it..

Gentlemen,

When install the AS JAVA decided to share the AS ABAP database, and somewhere in the process the ABAP instance got disconnect because the user SAPSR3 disappeared from the database and a new SAPSDBR3 (the AS JAVA schema owner) showed up.

And, believe because of this, the AS JAVA J2EE server didn't start so the installation didn't finish.

Couldn't find a note or alike regarding this.

So, have to redo the AS JAVA but don't want to crash the AS ABAP..

The installation option I'm using regards the SAP Business Suite 7i 2013 SR2 - EHP7 for ERP6  JAVA

Do you have any advise on this? Should go with two databases? Wouldn't like to have a second oracle_home.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Joao

ashwani1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is highly recommended to install both as separate SID & database as well for ABAP & JAVA Stack.

In future if any technical issue comes with any stack, you can easily restart or work independently to each other and solve the issue.

Thanks

Ashwani

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are running ECC you already have a NetWear stack, NW is just the technical basis for SAP applications (just like Fusion in Oracle world).

Depending en ECC version the NW stack could be :

• ECC6              NW70
  • ECC6 Ehp4       NW70 Ehp1
  • ECC6 Ehp6       NW73 Ehp1
  • ECC6 Ehp7       NW74

For wich usage are you willing to install NetWeaver ?

According to the usage there are version dependencies with the backend (ECC).

Best regards

bharathyp
Active Participant
0 Kudos

But looks like I did not install the netweaver component as I don't have the j2ee folder in the usr/sap/<inst>

So I can reinstall?

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

NW application server (aka stack)  can either be running on ABAP and/or JAVA.

Requirement depends on product usage:

- ERP only require an ABAP stack

- CRM require both ABAP & JAVA stack.

- Enterprise Portal only require a JAVA stack

If you want to use HCM XSS through portal you will need to install a JAVA stack.

For HCM usage through WebDynpro Abap you only need the existing ABAP stack.

That JAVA stack will have it's own SID it can be installed on an other host or share the host of the ABAP/ERP stack. It can have it's own DB or share the DB used by ABAP stack.

So you just need to install a Java stack, selecting the appropriate components for your usage.

0 Kudos

Hi!

Yves,

I have a request to perform a brand new installation of SAP ECC 6.0 EHP7 together with SAP ADS JAVA NW 7.4 .

So, being kind of "new" to this Netweaver nomenclature, I believe we are talking about a SAP Netweaver 7.4 installation .

Is this correct?

Or is it something else, like install NW 7.4 and load the database with the ECC6 EHP7 ?

Thank you for your help.

João Costa

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi João Costa

Actually you've got two installations there:

One Business Suite installation (for ERP 6 EHP7)

One SAP Netweaver 7.x installation (for ADS)

Each of those is a separate installation and has it's own database (you could potentially combine ~meaning reuse the same database them if you run on SAP HANA if they are whitelisted).

If you don't run on top of SAP HANA, you'll definitely have two seperate installations (SAP systems), and two databases (each it's own database).

Kind regards

Tom

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joäo

For the Java ADS instance it will be a pure NW 740 only installation.

For ECC6 Ehp7, you will perform an ECC installation that did include the NW 740 component.

Check the here under options in SWPM

Best regards

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tom

I know Hana is just perfect and simple....

but it is also possible to share a single DB for both ABAP & Java with RDBMS other than Hana 

The ECC DB instance can be used in a MCOD (Multiple components in one DB) configuration to host ADS data (that are really not heavy)

Best regards

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yves

Haha, funny stuff . SAP HANA has nice administration features but calling it simple that's just a marketing thing of SAP.

MOCD: true but that's no longer supported / non best practice nowadays so I don't recommend doing that

Kind regards

Tom

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Tom,

Thanks for the update, I was not aware than MCOD was not recommended anymore...

Things are changing so fast

I do not think it can be an issue if just used for a Java schema that does not hold that much of tables and that never undergoes heavy access. At least on Oracle I could not think of any draw back.. .

If you've got a reference I'll be glad to read it.

Kind regards

2122670 - How to split MCOD system into single SAP System.

SAP does not recommend to run SAP Netweaver based systems on SQL Server as MCOD(Multiple Components in One Database) configuration.

2146542 - DB2-z/OS: Don't use MCOD!

MCOD is generally available and there is no intention to de-support this installation feature.

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Yves

Referencing: 1655335 - Use Cases for Splitting Dual-Stack Systems

As of SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP3 and SAP Business Suite 7i2011, which is based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 EHP3, the installation of SAP dual-stack systems is no longer supported. Furthermore, as of SAP Business Suite 7i2011 and SAP NetWeaver 7.3 EHP1, it will no longer be possible to upgrade an optional SAP dual-stack system to a higher release.

Kind regards

Tom

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Only exception is Solution Manager (non HANA) still and that will change with Solution Manager 7.2 which will require a dual stack split as well.

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Maybe we are a bit misunderstanding each other.

For me MCOD is only at database level and in not related to dual stack.

I did use it on BW systems where there are separate ABAP & JAVA stacks, that I configure to share the same DB. The note  1655335 is not talking about that scenario.

Kind regards

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yves

Well, both are important but you're right MCOD vs Dual Stack is a different thing.

MCOD has been advised against by SAP (for non HANA) in the past because you cannot set parameters / finetune the database for each component.

So in general it's used less, some system landscapes at customer side are still MCOD though.

For SAP HANA there is a whitelist for MCOD scenario's. Reference SAP Note 1661202.

Kind regards

Tom

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tom

You're true MCOD could be a problem if you share a DB between applications that has antagonist usages, like OLAP/OLTP => BW/ECC

There was a nice trick in note 712777 - MCOD operation of R3 and BW in a database for having some parameters set to different values at session level.

I do not think that sharing a DB with a JAVA system can be an issue as the Java stack does not make an intensive usage of the DB

Thanks for the Hana note.

Kind regards

Yves