Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Technical Names

Former Member

Hi Experts,

Brief information about our SAP system:

- SAP: SAP ECC 6.0 EHP5.

- DB: MS SQL 2008 R2 (Ver 10.50).

- SAPGUI 7.20

There is a request from our management to set the option to display tcode technical names for all SAP users.

I've searched through this forum and others and found a couple of article about this topic, however, I'm still unable to find the right answer.

A few articles are referring to the following method:

"The table that holds the individual user settings is AGR_DATEU. In this case the ID is BROWSER_OPT and the attributes field has an X in the 4th position."

I've tried to update this field using SQL query and it's updated, however, it doesn't show any changes when I check the setting.

I've also tried to logout and relogon to check for the change, but it doesn't make any differences.

Appreciate if you could help and advise.

Thank you.

- Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

I've done this a couple of times myself using SE16N and as far as I can tell you're doing it correctly. In any case, here's a bit more detail:

To change any of the SAP GUI settings flags, first take a look at the settings dialog box:

In table AGR_DATEU, these are represented by either an "X" (checked) or a space (not checked) in field "ATTRIBUTES" where field ID is "BROWSER_OPT" and field UNAME is the userid:

It's not showing in this view, but the value of "ATTRIBUTES" is "   X", 3 spaces and an X as you can see below.

In order to activate this setting for all users, change the value of "ATTRIBUTES" for ID BROWSER_OPT and set the 4th value to "X".

Try it out on your own user first. You can trigger a menu update by switching between "SAP Menu" and "User Menu". It's a lot faster than logging on/off.

Brent

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

I've done this a couple of times myself using SE16N and as far as I can tell you're doing it correctly. In any case, here's a bit more detail:

To change any of the SAP GUI settings flags, first take a look at the settings dialog box:

In table AGR_DATEU, these are represented by either an "X" (checked) or a space (not checked) in field "ATTRIBUTES" where field ID is "BROWSER_OPT" and field UNAME is the userid:

It's not showing in this view, but the value of "ATTRIBUTES" is "   X", 3 spaces and an X as you can see below.

In order to activate this setting for all users, change the value of "ATTRIBUTES" for ID BROWSER_OPT and set the 4th value to "X".

Try it out on your own user first. You can trigger a menu update by switching between "SAP Menu" and "User Menu". It's a lot faster than logging on/off.

Brent

0 Kudos

Hi Brent,

Thanks for your response and guidance.

Yes, I'm aware of this setting. However, I'm looking for a way to perform a mass update for about 300 users.

I'll be very tedious and time consuming to perform 1 to 1 manual update.

I've tried to perform the update via backend MS SQL query, but it's not working.

Will you be able to advise further?

Thanks.

- Peter

0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

I don't see why that wouldn't work. Have you verified the results in the table via SAP (SE16)?

You can always ask an ABAP developer to write you a quick update program instead or use SE16N to change the values for all users in one go (select all records where ID = "BROWSER_OPT".

Kind regards,

Brent

0 Kudos

Hi Brent,

Thanks for your response.

I've used SE16N to access table AGR_DATEU and tried to change "ATTRIBUTES" where field ID is "BROWSER_OPT" and field UNAME is the userid, but I couldn't find any option to edit it.

Could you advise how can I change it?

Thanks.

- Peter

0 Kudos

Hello,

An update through SQL should work, but that table is buffered at SAP level.

After modifiying at DB level you must force the refresh of that table buffer using Ok code (type it in the area where you type transaction code):

/$tab AGR_DATEU

Best regards

0 Kudos

Chances are good that the buffers roll by tomorrow and then it will miraculously work....  🙂

A better option of to debug the SAVE code and find the user specific function which updates AGR_DATEU and write a program which calls that routine in a loop.

As the users have the option to turn it off again, perhaps it makes better sense to show them how to turn it on in the first place?

I find the question very cool actually, as it means that user menus are being used. That means that roles are menu based and dependent on the design redundancy compression is activated.

This works very well if the design is good. Glad to see this question!

ps: there is an exit in the session_manager for sapgui based access. From there youcan also run the routine to set the BROWSER_OPT parameter for first logins. You can also measure your menu based role concept via it and use of favourites in stead of the menu structure.
More than 10 favourites is a bad sign.

I like this discussion - despite the solutions of DB updates....

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Thank you for your response and help.

Issue has been resolved.

Have a nice day

- Peter