cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Links create a cycle; you cannot schedule error during MSP import to cProjects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

While importing an existing MS Project file into cProjects without maintaining any Task type & Phase type for the tasks, the import is successful.

But when we maintain Task type, Phase type & Project type for the tasks in MS Project & tried to import, I am getting the error "Links create a cycle; you cannot schedule".

Where exactly the links create cycle. Please help me out.

Regards,

Arun

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ravi_ekambaram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

The error 'Links create a cycle; you cannot schedule' comes only when there is an looping of tasks with relationships.

Check thoroughly for any relationship issues.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the immediate response.

But when I import the same project without maintaining task types & phase types in custom fields of task, there is no error.

Only when I maintain Task types & Phase types for the tasks, the loops are getting created.

How to find out these loops in MS Project ?

Regards,

Arun

ravi_ekambaram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

May be you can try to import the project by keeping 'Scheduling only Manually' in user settings of the User ID.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Your solution helped me to some extent, I have awarded the points too.

But now I am getting a new error- " Phase dates are outside the validity period of the calender" &  import unsuccessful.

But I have maintained same Factory calendar for the entire project. But this error is coming only for one particular phase. If i remove that particular phase, then the import is again successful.

Do you have any Idea why import is failing here in this case .

Regards,

Arun

ravi_ekambaram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

This issue is very specific to the calendar selected.

1) Check whether validity of factory calendar is set to 31.12.9999

2) Check thoroughly on each & every task the calendar selected.

If both the above are ok, then tell us the scheduling scenario used in project type and share the screen shot of all phase dates.