cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Enterpise Manager (Oracle DB Manager)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I installed a SAP system with an Oracle database (11.2.0.3) on a Windows Server 2008 (R2).

Now I want to install a graphical oracle manager application and I read that the Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) is one of the best applications for this purpose! So, I did the download of it in the Oracle official site:

http://www.oracle.com /technetwork/oem/grid-control/downloads/index.html

I know that SAP recommends to do the management of oracle database in SAP systems through BR*Tools but I need/want to install an application for that purpose (a graphic application instead a command line as is the application BR*Tools)!

The problem is I tried to install locally (in the server where is installed the SAP system and the Oracle database) the Oracle Enterpise Manager (Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Release 3 Plug-in Update 1 (12.1.0.3)) but I don´t know why it show me an error:

Could not create the connection string Connection to database failed

Next I will post here all the print-screens of the installation OEM wizard, therefore can you tell me what is the problem here and how can I solve it and make the connection to the oracle database:

Error: Could not create the connection string Connection to database failed

Can you help me please to solve this issue?!

Any tips?

Kind regards,

samid raif

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Samid,

installing Oracle Grid / Cloud Control just for doing some basic administration stuff in graphical mode for one Oracle database? That sounds like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. In addition the Oracle Gird / Cloud control repository should not be installed in the same Oracle database as SAP (think about the license limitations as well if you have purchased it by SAP).

In your scenario "Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control" should be sufficient:

Managing Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan Koehler,

Hum... yeah, sorry for my inexperience in this context! May be you´re right!

I forgot to mention before, but this is a SAP test system

I need the OEM for the administration tasks purpose (for example: add tablespaces; add datafiles; etc) and for monitoring purpose, so if you tell me that Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control should be sufficient I believe in you, can you tell how can I install only the "OEM Database Control"?

Kind regards,

samid raif

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

All the administration tasks you are talking about can easily be performed using BR*Tools.

If you do not like the crazy BR*Tools menu & options, you can try BrGui a little Java tool that is providing a graphical interface for BR*Tools.

It is attached to the here under note.

Best regards

611493 - BrGui: Graphical user interface for BR*Tools

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Yves KERVADEC,

I had heard about it!

But tell me one thing that I didn´t understand yet, where is the installation executable of BrGui? The sap note 769159 (Corrections in BrGui 6.40) have attached the latest patch of BrGui (6.40 (9) - BrGui640-9-EN.zip)... but this is the installation master/executable of BrGui or this is only a patch of it? If so, where I can find the installation executable of BrGui, do you know!? I already searched in SAP Marketplace and I didn´t found it!

Kind regards,

samid raif

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The attachment contains all the required files (just a java jar file + icons)

Extract the files to a local directory,

Make sure that the JAVA_HOME env var is set

Customize the brgui.properties file by adding the here under line:

brgui.remote-0=<type your SID>(localhost)

Launch with brgui.bat

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Yves KERVADEC,

Thank you very much for your recomendation

I installed the BrGui and it fits perfectly on the major activities in oracle database administration! Thanks a lot!

But besides of that, I found other application that, I guess, is more completed - BR*Tools Studio for Oracle DBA. Therefore I would like to test it!

I downloaded this in the following link and I installed like is described in documentation inside of the package:

SAP BR*Tools Studio 7.10

SAP Note 1224432 - BR*Tools Studio: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

But I can´t start the BR Studio tool

As recomended in documentation guide...first I must start up the server.cmd and then I do the log on to BR*Tools Studio server through a web browser using the following url: https://<host>:<port>/studio which is in my case: http://wintestora:8888/studio

But I don´t know why I can´t start it! The browser (internet explorer) doesn´t start anything. As I said, before, I started the server by itself (server.cmd) like it is recommended in documentation guide and this is the output of this script:

C:\oracle\ORA\sap\brtools\studio>server.cmd

13/12/04 23:43:12 WARNING: Application.setConfig Application: default is in failed state as initialization failed.

oracle.classloader.util.AnnotatedClassFormatError: oracle/jdbc/pool/OracleDataSource (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)

Classe invßlida: oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource

Carregador: oracle.jdbc:11.1.0_0

Code-Source: /C:/oracle/ORA/11203/oc4j/jdbc/lib/ojdbc5dms.jar

ConfiguraþÒo: <code-source> (ignore manifest Class-Path) in META-INF/boot.xml in C:\oracle\ORA\11203\oc4j\j2ee\home\oc4j.jar

Classe dependente: oracle.oc4j.sql.config.DataSourceConfigUtils

Carregador: oc4j:10.1.3

Code-Source: /C:/oracle/ORA/11203/oc4j/j2ee/home/lib/oc4j-internal.jar

ConfiguraþÒo: <code-source> in META-INF/boot.xml in C:\oracle\ORA\11203\oc4j\j2ee\home\oc4j.jar

This class has been compiled for a newer version of the JRE. Version 48.0 was expected, found 49.0.

13/12/04 23:43:12 Error parsing application-server config file: null

13/12/04 23:43:12 java.lang.NullPointerException

13/12/04 23:43:12       at com.evermind.server.ObjectReferenceCleaner.resetApplicationLogger(ObjectReferenceCleaner.java:240)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at com.evermind.server.ObjectReferenceCleaner.cleanupApplicationLogger(ObjectReferenceCleaner.java:153)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at com.evermind.server.ObjectReferenceCleaner.loaderDestroyed(ObjectReferenceCleaner.java:85)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at oracle.classloader.EventDispatcher.loaderDestroyed(EventDispatcher.java:248)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at oracle.classloader.PolicyClassLoader.close(PolicyClassLoader.java:1113)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at oracle.classloader.PolicyClassLoader.close(PolicyClassLoader.java:1041)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at com.evermind.server.ApplicationStateRunning.destroyClassLoaders(ApplicationStateRunning.java:1171)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at com.evermind.server.Application.stateCleanUp(Application.java:3635)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at com.evermind.server.Application.setConfig(Application.java:506)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at com.evermind.server.Application.setConfig(Application.java:355)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at com.evermind.server.ApplicationServer.initializeDefaultApplication(ApplicationServer.java:1603)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at com.evermind.server.ApplicationServer.initializeAutoDeployedApplications(ApplicationServer.java:1586)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at com.evermind.server.ApplicationServer.setConfig(ApplicationServer.java:1018)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at com.evermind.server.ApplicationServerLauncher.run(ApplicationServerLauncher.java:131)

13/12/04 23:43:12       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:579)

Can you tell me if there is a problem here please?! How can I solve this issue? How can I log on in BR*Tools Studio for DBA?

Can you help me please?

Kind regards,

samid raif

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I gave up using Br*Studio...

It looks like you are having a Java version problem with Oracle OC4J.

This class has been compiled for a newer version of the JRE. Version 48.0 was expected, found 49.0.

Make sure you include Oracle JDK in the PATH

=> "<drive>:\oracle\<sid>\1120x\jdk\bin"

For using it you might need to switch from SAP JVM (if you are using it) to Oracle JVM.

Check that great blog from Stefan on that topic.

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try the same with jvm 5.0.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yves KERVADEC,

Can you tell me please how can I check if I´m using the SAP JVM or other Java?

Kind regards,

samid raif

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check you PATH or JAVA_HOME environnement variable

set | find "JAVA_HOME"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yves KERVADEC,

Environment variables JAVA_HOME and PATH:

JAVA_HOME = C:\j2sdkx64

PATH = C:\oracle\ORA\11203\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\oracle\ORA\11203\perl\bin;C:\oracle\software_oracle\middleware\Oracle_WT\bin;C:\oracle\software_oracle\middleware\Oracle_WT\opmn\bin;C:\oracle\software_oracle\middleware\Oracle_WT\opmn\lib;C:\oracle\software_oracle\middleware\Oracle_WT\perl\bin;C:\j2sdkx64\bin

There is another environment JAVA which is the JAVA_HOME_CCR = C:\oracle\software_oracle\middleware\jdk16\jdk

I checked the java -version:

C:\>java -version

java version "1.4.2_42"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_42-b03)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.4.2_42-b03, mixed mode)

Any tips?

Kind regards,

samid raif

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1st tip is to migrate to SAP JVM, Java JVM is not supported anymore for SAP product

1495160 - SAP JVM as replacement for Partner JDKs 1.4.2

2nd tip, If it is not working with SAP JVM, try the Jdk that is included in the Oracle home, it could work... or not !

Good luck

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Are you sure SID is ora ?

Check the env. var ORACLE_SID

Watchout, OEM is only supported for monitoring purpose...

828268 - Oracle Database 10g: New functions

Oracle Enterprise Manager 10g Grid Control/Database Control

Allowed for monitoring purposes.

Support directly from Oracle (no SAP support).

386413 - Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) in the SAP environment

The use of the Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) in the SAP environment is permitted, that is, the support contract with SAP is not at risk if you use the OEM.

BR*Tools are still the recommended tools for DBA tasks in the SAP environment.

355770 - Using Oracle Enterprise Manager in an SAP environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Yves KERVADEC,

Thank you for your useful information.

As you can see I answered to that question in my previous message (answered to Reagan), the ORACLE_SID is ORA!

Any tips?

Kind regards,

samid raif

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Are you using the right SID in the Service/SID field ?

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Reagan,

Yes, it is!!

To prove that, I checked the ORACLE_SID environment variable: ORACLE_SID=ORA

I also checked the oracle parameter "service_names":

show parameter service_names;

NAME                TYPE          VALUE

---------------          --------------     ------------------------------

service_names   string           ORA

I ran again the OEM wizard and now I put a new value in Service/SID field the ORA (with uppercase) but it shows me the same error:

And I also checked if the port of listener is in fact the 1521... and yes, that is the oracle listener port!

I don´t know... any tips?

Kind regards,

samid raif