cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a good idea to use local SSD storage for SAP paging?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I shall soon need to migrate ERP onto new hardware and I'm considering the value of installing a pair of mirrored SSD disks in each server for paging use. I cannot afford an SSD array in the SAN to accelarate database access, but can afford a handful of local SSD drives in the servers.

If anyone's done this already, I'd hope you could advise me whether or not I'd get a performance boost from moving my page files to local SSD drives.

For information, we intend on running ERP in a Windows Server 2012 two-node cluster on the new servers.

Many thanks,

Arwel.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There would be a performance boost, but due to the nature of a page file the life of the drive wouldn't last as long.

Something to consider, instead of placing the page file there why not look into moving files/folders onto the SSDs that don't write all that often, but instead are used for reads my first thoughts are to the kernel folders under SYS (not the EXE one as every restart writes files via sapcpe).

You would need to utilize mklink to accomplish, or some other way to link the files to avoid SAP issues looking for its file system structure(s).