cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move Content Server to another host

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

we have an old server running an ECC 5.00 which was successfully migrated to a new virtual system via a system copy. Now I need to do this as well for the installed SAP Content Server (6.30), which should also be moved to the new server.

Old system: Win2k3

New system: Win2k8

Can anyone guide me how to achieve this? As far as I know the Content Server is "normal" windows installation and in addition has a SAP MaxDB database to store the content. I am thinking of installing the Content Server software on the new server and than do some kind of export/import from the old to the new database. But when I tried this step on my local machine,

I do not know how to import the existing backup with the Database Manager 7.6. The option to create a new instance does not really work 😞

Any help would be great.

Thanks and regards,

Andreas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

Install Content Server on the target system.

Perform a system copy.

Install MaxDB Studio Manager and connect both the databases to it.

Take a backup of the source system using the Studio Manager.

Connect to the target system using Studio and create a backup medium under Backup in the Studio Manager. Specify the backup name with the full path name.

Start the recovery for the target system using Studio.

Check these SAP notes.

962019 - System Copy of SAP MaxDB Content Server Database

1619726 - FAQ: SAP MaxDB Content Server

798500 - Dealing with repositories after a system copy

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you checked that content server 630 is supported on 2008 and i dont see in pam.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your hints. Unfortunately I was not able to even do a clean install on a fresh Win2008RC2 server system for the Content Server 6.30.

@Reagan Benjamin:

The sap note 962019 says that a system copy with database tools is only possible for Content Server version 6.40, PL18 and above.

This means I have to upgrade the content server on the source system, right? How do I do that? Do you know where I can get the Content Server 6.40 installation DVD as we are currently only have the 6.30 one?! I could not find it in the sap marketplace.

regards,

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry i missed to mention not in there .

Have you checked that content server 630 is not supported on 2008 and i dont see in pam.

You won't find and upgrade guide because upgrading your Content Server from 630 to 640 isn't really and upgrade you just have to replace a few files

Please check the below note.

SAP Note 514500 - Importing Support Packages for the SAP Content

But want i think that you can install content server 6.40 directly on new server and then try to do db import.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rishi,

thanks for the hint. I saw that the upgrade to 6.40 are only "files".

Do you know how to install content server 6.40 directly? We have an installation master for SAP Netweaver 2004s, but the sapinst option to install the content server is not visible. I searched for that but only found one thread where they mentioned to download latest installation master. But I am not able to find Netweaver 2004s installation master dvd in marketplace 😞

Regards,

Andreas

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas

Refer to this guide and install Content Server 6.40

https://websmp208.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700003351242006E/Cont_Serv_Win_640.pdf

http://service.sap.com/swdc  - Browse our Download Catalog - SAP NetWeaver and complementary products - SAP NetWeaver - SAP EHP1 FOR SAP NETWEAVER 7.0 - Installation and Upgrade - Microsoft Windows - MaxDB (SAPDB)

Download these files as well

NW 7.0 Presentation - SAP Content Server 6.40

NW 7.0 Presentation - MaxDB Release 7.7.07.20

Start sapinst and select this option

SAP NETWEAVER 7.0 including EHP1 FOR SAP - Standalone Engines - Content Server - Content Server and / or cache Server

Regards

RB

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas

Installing Content Server 6.40 is the best option.

Just follow the guide and download the files.

Once the installation has been completed just take a backup from the old system and restore it to the target system.

Follow the above mentioned notes.

Reconfigure the connections to the new Content Server.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the answer.

After searching my installation master DVD I have found out that the option "Content Server" is only available when running sapinst from IM_WINDOWS_I386 folder. When I ran it from IM_WINDOWS_X86_64 the option is not visible.

Is this a correct behavior? Does it mean the content server installation is only available as 32bit installation?

Or did I do anything wrong?

Regards,

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try to use the installation master for ERP 2004 and use the installation master as the PAM shows it is available.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rishi,

yes, I thought I did this. I used the following installation master: 51032419, which is the installation master for ERP 2005 SR2.

I am unsure about the secific behavior of 32bit and 64bit installation mode and why the content server option is only displayed for 32bit installation.

Regards,

Andreas

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Check this discussion

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

so far I see no official support for Content Server 6.40 for an 64bit system. The other thread just presented a work around but this did not work either.

So I rerun the 32bit installation which worked fine so far. Nevertheless the creation of the local website in IIS did not worked. I tried sap note 1823408 but without success 😞

So I am a bit stuck now. I can connect to the newly created database which is now an 32bit installation, version 7.6.00.35

How should I go on? Can I use Database Manager 7.6 for importing the old backup of the original 6.30 database? If so how exactly does it work? I tried by recovery but this broke my database and I was not able to connect with DB Manager 7.6 again to the database!

Regards,

Andreas

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Check this SAP note for Content Server 6.40 on Windows 2008

1399009 - Content Server 6.40 on Windows Server 2008 and Win2008 R2

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the below two notes also.

1823408 Manual Creation of Website on Windows 2008 Server

1704365 - IIS roles not created by default when installing Content Server on Windows 2008

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rishi,

thx for the notes. 1704365 point me in the right direction to install missing IIS components. But still I cannot create the site manually like described in 1823408. I am stuck at the point 5 where you have to activate the handlers. But I do not see these ones described.

This is the error I got in the browser:

Detailed Error Information

Module IsapiModule

Notification ExecuteRequestHandler

Handler ISAPI-dll

Error Code 0x800700c1

Requested URL http://localhost:1090/ContentServer/ContentServer.dll?serverInfo

Physical Path C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\Content Server\ContentServer.dll

Logon Method Anonymous

Logon User Anonymous

Regards,

Andreas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

so far I see no official support for Content Server 6.40 for an 64bit system. The other thread just presented a work around but this did not work either.

If you check the PAM it will show you Content Server 6.40 and the OS compatibility.

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/pam?hash=s%3D%26filter%3Dis_addon%257CF%26o%3Dmost_viewed%257Cde...

So I rerun the 32bit installation which worked fine so far. Nevertheless the creation of the local website in IIS did not worked. I tried sap note 1823408 but without success 😞

What is the release of IIS you are using ?

To be honest I only have experience with Content Server 6.40 installation on AIX so I cannot give you exact answers to your issues.

I would try installing Content Server 6.40 on Windows 2008 system after downloading the installation packages I have provided you.

I would then take a full backup of the existing system and restore it over to the new system and recover it using the DB Manager.

So I am a bit stuck now. I can connect to the newly created database which is now an 32bit installation, version 7.6.00.35

How should I go on? Can I use Database Manager 7.6 for importing the old backup of the original 6.30 database? If so how exactly does it work? I tried by recovery but this broke my database and I was not able to connect with DB Manager 7.6 again to the database!

The version I pointed out in one of my previous replies was to MaxDB 7.7 and I don't understand why you are having 7.6 32 bit on Windows 2008 as it is not compatible with Windows 2008

You should download the new installation media and perform the installation.

I can see that MxDB 64 bit is supported on Windows Server 2008

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/pam?hash=s%3D%26filter%3Dis_addon%257CF%26o%3Dmost_viewed%257Cde...

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thx for your reply. I already read your comment but the problem was the installation of Content Server 6.40 because I was not able to install the 64bit version as the install media did not had the option to select it. Therefor I started with the 6.40 I386 installation and in sap note 1399009 they described to install with MAXDB 7.6 and upgrade the database afterwards to 7.8.

I checked your version and tried it but I can not find the matching installation master in order to install the 64bit version.

Any hint on that?

Regards,

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you try this media.

51043618_13   BS7i2010 Installation Master Windows Server on x64 64bit

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rishi,

Sorry, but unfortunately I was not able to find the media you mentioned. What did I do wrong? I searched for the dvd number and for the name, both did not found any result.

So I tried the DVD "Software Provising Manager" for Netweaver:

SAR70SWPM10SP04_2-20009707.sarSW Prov. Mgr. 1.0 SP04 for systems based on NW7.0x 2Info42681102.12.2013

Searching for "BS7i2010" brings some results but nothing with "installation master"...

But here I got stuck when asked for die RDBMS-ADA media. Every media I tried is not valid because the SPM displays in its error message that a label is not configured for this option. So it reads the label from dvd folder but has no label internally to match against.

This seems to be a bug in the SPM software.

Hope I did not misunderstood you.

regards,

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this. Use the search with dvd no as shown in the red block.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rishi,

I am sorry but searching exactly the number you mentioned in your screen does not bring any results!! Maybe these items are not available for me? I thought I have all needed rights on marketplace even to create S-user entries and of course downloads!

Regards,

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Type of the download depends on the licensing also and that can be the reason you are not able to to see all dvd .

Thanks

Rishi Abrol