Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Monitoring: Back Ground Jobs and OS Process monitoring

ashutosh_bhanage
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Background job Monitoring

Can I monitor background jobs with cancelled status through technical monitoring(System monitoring)??  Is CCMS set up on the managed system mandatory to achieve this?? If yes or no can somebody point me to the config guide how its done.

Also i am on Solman 7.1 SP7. Is its recommended that I use BPMon background process monitoring to achieve the same.

OS Process Monitoring

I am trying to access the below link for the config guide for process monitoring. But it doesnt work. I am not able to see anything. Can somebody help me with this and/or point me where can I get this and additional information about the same.

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/download/attachments/269157890/Monitored%20Processes%20Metrics.pdf?vers...

Regards,

Ashutosh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashutosh,

you can monitor background jobs generally with Technical Monitoring. You will have to perform the Managed System setup for that system in transaction SOLMAN_SETUP. The system will need a diagnostics agent and a host agent running additionally to the SAP System and fairly recent (ideally latest) versions of the add-ons ST-PI and ST/A-PI. You will not need to set up CCMS.

Once the system is connected you can configure the technical monitoring for it. The SAP template for the technical system will already have a metric for cancelled background job. You can adjust the thresholds though if the defaults are not good for you.

The SAP Help explains the architecture quite well:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm71_sp05/helpdata/en/21/55b0532ef74be4b4a49df96bee90e2/frameset.htm

And even more details on the actual connection can be found here:

http://scn.sap.com/community/it-management/alm/solution-manager/blog/2013/10/15/data-providers-in-te...

If you want to monitor only specific jobs then Job Management is probably the better option for you. Have a look at SAP Help:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm71_sp05/helpdata/en/91/d4d26e172c49a2b25ab9c80fd1981d/frameset.htm

For OS process monitoring, I can open the document using the link you have provided. Have you looked at SAP templates for the Operating System monitoring yet? What information are you after exactly?

Regards,

Manon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashutosh,

As suggested by Manon, You can monitor BG jobs and OS monitoring with Technical monitoring. Tech monitoring uses ST-PI and ST_API with RFCs and SMD agents and host agents for OS monitoring.

Moreover you can make use of BPM as well to monitor BG jobs .

THanks,

Jagadish.

ashutosh_bhanage
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Manon/Jagdish,

Thanks for your replies.

I am looking at monitoring specific background jobs that are in the status cancelled. From that perspective, is technical monitoring a suitable tool are I should be using BPMon background job monitoring??

Also I am looking at monitoring OS level process on the managed system. For that reason I require that guide. Still not able to view it. "SAP templates for the Operating System monitoring" where can I find it??

Regards,

Ash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashutosh,

technical monitoring monitors all background jobs of a system, depending on your thresholds you can get an alert as soon as any one background job is in status cancelled.

If you only want to monitor specific jobs then job management is the better functionality for you. It can also alert on more levels, e.g. duration or delayed start. But it requires more time to set up as you will need to provide more information on each job.

Unfortunately I cannot help you with the document, as I said I can open it and I don't know where else to find it. Have you tried a different browser/computer?

Technical monitoring provides OS monitoring as well which I personally find sufficient for most situations, maybe have a close look at it before you start creating your own metrics.

Regards,
Manon

Answers (0)