cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does 'following' & 'followers' actually mean?

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I had this query for so long and I now put this up as I really want to know the reason.

I'm following certain members on SCN of different forums. Now what does this feature do??

I initially started following them thinking that I'll get the notifications whenever they post a content (blog, docs, query or a response). But I have never seen one in my SCN account or in my inbox.

Please let me know what does this 'following' factor do?

Or tell me if my understanding is correct, mentioned above, but I need to make some settings ??

Regards,

ntn

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

All aspects of following someone or being follower to someone are already discussed here. Just to put my thoughts I would like to add that apart from all other features of following someone it also shows your reputation on SCN. For instance just have a look on Jurgen L's profile and see how many followers he got there.

If you want to get notifications of someone's posts and comments etc you can get it without following.

One thing I expect from SCN is that if we can see who is following us then why can't we see who is getting updates of our postings. Another thing is that there should be some privacy in SCN. If we dont want someone to follow us or get mail alerts for our activities there should be some option to stop this. But I know SCN's reply to my this silly wish that this is professional forum aimed to help others so this option is not available in SCN like in other social websites.

Thank$

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Moazzam,

Thank you for the details.

I just want to know how to get notifications for the content posted by the people I follow. I cannot stay logged in on the SCN round the clock but yes, my cell phone is around and I would like to see all the updates through it (like I get them for the content I follow)

Is there an option or not?

ntn

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Just go to the profile of member you want to get alerts from and click the Receieve Email Notification. I hope it will work. You will start receiving Emails for all activities of that member. Only SCN activities

Thank$

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

It worked (for SCN of course )

ntn

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

There's one drawback with this method: it's difficult to track down these custom e-mail overrides and each one must also be deactivated one by one. We receive many member support requests because they turn on this action and don't know how to turn it off or figure out why they are still getting notifications even after they turned them off via their preferences!

It's more efficient to follow every person, place (space) and content item you would like to follow and then choose to receive e-mail notifications for everything you are following in your preferences:

Also note that you can filter content, people and place (spaces) by those you are following and select to un-follow them from these lists.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

At the top of every SCN page you'll find a link to , a space with several helpful guides covering SCN platform features, including .

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the links. But it did not give me satisfactory answer.

Is there a provision so that I can get email notifications if any of the people, i follow, post a content on SCN?

ntn

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If you want to know more about e-mail notification, visit (also listed on

Former Member
0 Kudos

Following means I follow others by which I am receiving all information related to postings in SCN by those person or persons and Followers means reverse of the above that means people follow me in SCN.

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Very funny. I didn't expect anyone explaining the difference so deeply

ntn

0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

You would have turned off the email notifications for followed activities People, places and content I'm following (Followed Activity) under the Preferences tab http://scn.sap.com/user-preferences!input.jspa . You may check if you have chosen 'Never'.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Leon

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Leon Limson

Interesting!! I didn't turn it off and I receive notifications for all other contents. My query was related to something else and it has been answered now. I never bothered about Activity tab with + on it before.

Now I know its significance.

But yes, I never receive emails for the people specific content. As in, If I follow you, and you posted a blog, I'll get the info in Activity but no email for this.

Can you suggest something for this ?? 

Regards,

ntn

0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

If I recall correctly, I used to get mails for the posts of the people I 'Follow'. Then I turned it off sometime back. So I am not sure about the current behavior.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Leon

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

my understanding is:

If two persons are following each other, you can send him a direct message from visiting his profile page and vice versa.

if somebody is following you but you are not following that person, only you can send him a direct message, but he can't (until unless you follow him)

If you want to get notification via mails for that person (whom you are following) you need to select "Receive email Notifications" at his profile page.

Regards,

Jitendra

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jitendra,

Thanks for the response.

I know this logic of sending DMs. But is this the only purpose behind keeping this 'Follow' thing?? Ahh.. doesn't sound cool.

ntn

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

i guess so. Just have a look at this document.

Regards,

Jitendra

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nitin,

If you follow someone, you get all his feeds in your activity tab and you can know if that person created any status update, replied to a question, create any blog or document, and other things like what document he liked or update like he is following someone else

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Activity of everything/everyone you follow will be included/merged in your activity feed.

That includes replies, comments, documents, blogs, likes etc.

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Bingo!!

Yes, it is there in Activity. Thanks

ntn