cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLMM and multiple value characteristic assignment

Former Member

Hi experts!

I've recently been asked to update many materials with a new characteristic value for a multiple-value characteristic.

Here's my issue:  All of the materials currently have assignments within this multiple-value characteristic.  I have tried using CLMM but cannot determine a way to add a new value to an object that already has classification (without overwriting all that is there already).

So, for example, I have this:

Material A1

Class BOX

Cstic STAMP

Value UL

Value CE

Value UPC

And I want to use CLMM to change to this:

Material A1

Class BOX

Cstic STAMP

Value UL

Value CE

Value UPC

Value POSTAGE

There are many materials, and not all have the same values across the board.  Is there a way to use CLMM to achieve the above, or will I have to pursue another route?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

@Ravi - I tried this method, and i noticed the option to paste "Insert with new Row" - would this allow what i am doing? I cannot seem to get it to work properly with multiple values (but perhaps i'm using it incorrectly).

@Ritesh - i agree that an LSMW would be the best way to go but I'm not allowed access to run an LSMW in our production system, so i was hoping i could get to it with standard transactions.  Is this possible?

ravi_ekambaram
Active Contributor

Hi Michael,

You can use 'semicolon' between the existing value & new value to add without replacing the existing value.

Regards,

Ravi

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael Bordelon,

I suggest above as set of values are not common for all your material.

You can use CLMM, use 3rd option , change with matrix provide your characteristic name, go to target object tab , search material you want to change , execute you will get pop-up with all material selected and existing value , check each & every cell using F4 , select the new value without touching existing value, once all changers are done save it.

It will work in the way i describe.

The option you are looking for insert new row doesn't work the way its expected, it do delete the existing value while setting up new value.

Option Ravi is suggesting need to provide old value as well as new value , separated by " semicolon ' ; '  so here you first need to prepare a sheet with all the value including new and old one and then select every line in popup and use insert new row option, it will work.

Hope it will help you.

Thanks

Ritesh

daniel_barnea
Discoverer
0 Kudos
@Ravi response was helpful.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Ritesh - it works great!  I should just be able to pull the existing values into a spreadsheet from the AUSP table so that won't be anything too tough.  Thanks again!

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael Bordelon,

simple steps to follow would be

Use where used and find out list of material for which new characteristic or value is relevant

Record LSMW or BDC for MM02 and update this new value.

I am sure your IT department have recording for MM02 in place or if its not there its good time to have it as its widely used data migration program , specially useful for business where new values are introduced every now n then.

Thanks

Ritesh

ravi_ekambaram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

You can still use CLMM for doing mass changes in all the materials.

Use 'Assign Values in Matrix' - Add the characteristic and navigate to Target objects. And then find all  the objects, carryout mass change and paste the new value.. (If it is a single value for all objects then you can use excel to copy..paste..)

Try this and let us know if it works for you.

Regards,

Ravi