Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons not to use PRD copy to QA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Scenario:

D1-Q1-P1 is ECC, EHP3

DT2 is a copy of D1 and ECC EHP 5 has been applied.

The goal here is to move the entire landscape to EHP5.

I want to now copy Q1 to Q2, install EHP5 and build my QA.

The business/testers/ABAP are requesting that we build Q2 from Production (P1).

I'm against it. I would rather continue with Dev to Dev, QA to QA and then either EHP directly on PRD or copy to new hardware and EHP on it.

Then build a Sandbox from PRD and scamble data where testing can be done and the Basis test install of EHP5.

Im trying to come up with reasonning for doing this 3+1 system but management want to cut corners.

Please either tell me how you feel about PRD to QA? And what Technical reasons why not to do this other than Security/Data sensitivity and Databse Space issues.

I'm putting together a justification and need some more scenarios.

OR..Maybe I;m wrong and QA from PRD is the better scenario...but i would need to be very much beat up by everyone to believe it.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agree with Rishi. First you will need to perform DB migration with PRD backup and upgrade the EHP stacks afterwards. Please take note that you have to prepare for migration materials such as migration keys to fix technical issues such as RFC errors in secstore.

Thanks,
Luqman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm against it. I would rather continue with Dev to Dev, QA to QA and then either EHP directly on PRD or copy to new hardware and EHP on it.

Why do you think that this is good approach. I can only think that this would be case if your Quality system has got any scrambled data and you don't want production data to come in any quality system as per the contract agreement with the client. So if you use the production copy it would take quite long that scramble the data in quality once copied from production.

Please either tell me how you feel about PRD to QA? And what Technical reasons why not to do this other than Security/Data sensitivity and Databse Space issues.

I would think that take the copy of the production to have the real case tested as this is the main objective of the quality system Q2 to be as close as production and identify the issue that you can face in production after EHp5 . So i think best approach is to build it from the backup of production.

Thanks

Rishi Abrol

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I want to now copy Q1 to Q2, install EHP5 and build my QA.

The business/testers/ABAP are requesting that we build Q2 from Production (P1).

The quality and sandbox systems are often refreshed with the production data and I believe the Q1 system was created in the same way long back. So if you want to create a new quality system (Q2) then using the production backup is the best option before starting the upgrade.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Personally I always build my parallel upgrade/EHP landscapes by copying PRD. Having up-to-date DEV and QA systems for upgrade testing avoids nasty surprises late in the project.

Steve.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok thanks Steve, nice to see what others are doing.