cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA Backup error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

When trying to run a Backup in HANA Studio we get an message/error which reports that the backup is failing.

The shared folder where the backups will be stored has the necessary permissions set.

The error we get is:

Could not start backup of system 'SH1'. ' Cannot open file ""<root>/.log_backup_0_0_0_0.1385931567067" (mode= W, access= rwrwr-, flags= DIRECT|UNALIGNED_SIZE|TRUNCATE|MULTI_WRITERS), factory= (root= "/mnt/backup/log/" (access= rwrwr-, flags= AUTOCREATE_PATH|DISKFULL_ERROR, usage= LOG_BACKUP, fs= UNKNOWN (cifs), config= (AsyncWriteSubmitActive=auto,AsyncWriteSubmitBlocks=new,AsynReadSubmit=off,#SubmitQueues=1,#CompletionQueues=1)))", rc=22: Invalid argument'

Does anyone have an idea of what we can check to resolve this error?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem was with NTFS shares from windows.

We changed the backup location to an NFS share & the backups works now.

Verry annoying that the HANA backups don't seem to support NTFS (cifs in linux) shares.    

jackson_john
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dries,

Just curious. Where you able to create, edit, modify and delete files from the NTFS partition as an HANA OS user by running simple commands like touch or vi? If that worked, I would assume the backup program should also have worked.

This is an interesting information which I like to know.

Thanks,

Jackson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Yes, I have tried the folowing operations (as <sysID>adm) on the File share.

- Created a file - edit & save that same file - Afterwards deleted the file.

All the operations above worked. The NTFS Share was set-up using Windows Server 2008.

Unfortunately the HANA back-up did not work on this share. (See the error in 1st post)

As mentioned, the solution for us was to use an NFS Share...

Perhaps in the future we will investigate this further as the current back-up situation is not ideal for us.

- Perhaps someone has already managed to get it working on NTFS shares? 🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

Geert,

I have tried with NTFS Windows Share - no luck. With NFS Windows share works perfectly.

Regards

GN

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

MvW
Participant
0 Kudos

Doing a backup to an external windows share (using smb) is possible, but in depends on how you mount the share in linux.

You have to use parameter dir_mode=0775 and dir_file=0775 (for example) within mount-command. If you do not, HANA aborts with permission error even if all permissions on windows share are set.

karthikeyan_natarajan4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dries,

Can you check the free size in /mnt/backup/log.

What is the value of parameter log_mode

regards

kartik

Former Member
0 Kudos

The log_mode is set to 'normal', the backup folder is mounted to a network share.

The free space on this share is 843G, so I'm not sure why it says DISKFULL_ERROR in the flags.

jackson_john
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you try creating an empty file in that location as the HANA OS user itself?

Try running "touch abc" in the location. If that succeeds try adding some data to the file "abc" using VI editor.

I got a similar problem today but in my case the flag was AUTOCREATE_DIRECTORY.

Thanks,

Jackson