cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to PI 7.4 with Seeburger Adapters?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a SAP PI 7.1 System and want to upgrade to SAP PI 7.4 (NW 7.4).

The thing is, that the customer uses Seeburger Components (Adapters) in this PI-system. These adapters have the version 2.1.0 or 2.1.1

I´ve seen that in Marketplace I could download the Seeburger Package (zip-file) with version 2.2.0 => This is OK because the customer would upgrade this components to version 2.2.0

My question is now => Are there any special things regarding these Seeburger Adapters?? Do we just have to deploy the new versions with SUM or is there anything to think of before upgrading the whole system??

Thanks in advance.

Manuel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel,

Make sure you have a good backup of all components, especially the Seeburger Workbench.

What I did was undeploying every Seeburger component using the NWDS and afterwards, deploy the new version using the JSPM.

I know Stefan Hilpp from Seeburger is not a fan of this way of working, but for us, that was the only way to go because JSPM did not recognize the new Seeburger files to be deployed.

Kind regards,

Dimitri

S0003485845
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dimitri, Manuel,

usually, I am fine with both approaches. However, the risk that I see when completely undeploying the components is the fact that entries in the SeeWorkbench will also be deleted when the modules/tables are removed.

=> therfore all objects in the SeeburgerWorkbench definitely should be exported (backup) before doing such a step (as Dimitri already mentioned).

Anyway, the upgrades from 2.1.0 to 2.2 along with the PI change from 7.1 to 7.4 are big steps, so I don´t mind using Dimitri´s approach to make a complete new installation of the 2.2 Adapters.

Are you planning to install the 7.4 on a new system/hardware and migrate the settings from the 7.1 system to the 7.4 system...or are you planning to upgrade the existing 7.1 system ?

Kind Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dimitri,

Hi Stefan,

@Stefan: We are planning to upgrade our existing system (PI 7.1) to Netweaver 7.4 (PI 7.4) without changing hardware or database. It´s only an upgrade not a migration.

The customer wants to use new adapter versions 2.2.0. As I wrote, there is only one ZIP-file to download on the SAP Marketplace. I think that in this package, there are all components.

Could you tell me or list all the steps to do in regards to this adapters? (Deployment, Undeployment, backups etc.)

Should we first upgrade the system to 7.4 or should we do all activities in regards to adapters first and then upgrade?

Thanks!

Manuel

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel,

Please have a look at OSS Note 965084 and especially OSS Note 890721 to match your SAP SP level to the Seeburger version.

Also, you are talking about an upgrade and not a new installation from scratch. Maybe you should consider following a Seeburger upgrade path. Stefan, can you elaborate on this?

What you can do:

1. backup Seeburger components
  2. undeploy Seeburger components
  3. upgrade your system
  4. deploy new Seeburger components
  5. modify configuration (especially Integration Directory objects pointing to the new adapter metadata in the ESR) and settings to make sure everything works fine again

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

benjamin_bichler
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi (to all who may be concerned about updates/upgrades fof SEEBURGER components),

please have a look at SAP Note 1167474 - Installing/Updating/Upgrading/Removing SEEBURGER solutions which has been created to answer such questions as yours.

(If there are any open questions or if you face any issues with the procedure described in those notes/guides, please report to SEEBURGER Support or Consulting, so that the notes/guides might be updated or those teams may support you before/during your project)

As and already mentioned, do not forget a backup as a fallback, especially when you are (un)deploying components which contain database tables.

Removing Software Components from ESR as mentioned in "Preparation" step in Dimitri's upgrade plan () could mean that your existing directory objects such as Communication Channels might not be used anymore after removal of the SWCVs, as they would then be referring to non-existing SWCVs, so be careful with such an approach (e.g. do it only, if you are able to restore a SWCV with the same IDs, namespaces and object names the directory objects are referring to, or if you are able to recreate/update all your directory objects to point to new SWCVs).

Best regards

Benjamin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for your reply to this case!

I must say that I´ve forgotten to mark this thread as "Answered". The solution was already found at the end of year 2013. (I think this was at the beginning of December 2013)

Regards,
Manuel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Manuel,

Can you share your experience with combined PI & Seeburger upgrade in terms of sequence of upgrade & any precaution to take?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Neeraj

ansul_chandra3
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello

We are running Seeburger 2.1.4 application with PI 7.1 EHp1. I am trying to upgrade Seeburger application from 2.1.4 to 2.1.7 but not sure how I should proceed with that. I would appreciate if someone can provide any documentation.

Thanks,

Ansul

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ansul,

In the past, I did a similar upgrade. This is the complete upgrade plan I created.

Kind regards,

Dimitri