cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Enterprise portal to SAP MDG - Help please!!!

former_member283645
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We have activated standard Material data model and also create a custom data model in MDG and tested it using NWBC.

Both worked fine.

However we wish to use EP as front-end instead of NWBC.

Basis team confirmed that ep is connected to MDG system in the back-end (im not sure how to cross check it though!!!).

What should i do to replicate what we see in NWBC to be available in EP.

Is there any document which shows the portal config, for standard and custom data model to be available in EP??

Can anyone please provide me the steps, explaining in detail.

Regards

Eva

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member196830
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

To make MDG work in the Portal you have to use the System Landscape configuration for connecting to your backend that the BASIS team configured for you. It needs to have an alias and when you go to the portal content administration, you have to import the PFCG standard MDG roles to the portal. This would import also the iviews and provide the roles to you in the portal.

Once this is done, you'll have to have your Portal user account assigned to the MDG role that was just imported (User Administrators do that) and then you'll be able to reach the screens you configured.

The roles you need to import are SAP_MDGX_MENU for custom objects and SAP_MDGM for Materials.

Please see the screenshots below for the Portal Content import of the backend roles:

And during the import you select the Alias for the Landscape System that BASIS configured (connection to backend - in my case K1L)

Hope that helps

Regards,

Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have current CRUD process on Enterprise Portal for Material /Customer/Vendor, and now we are implementing MDG.  What we thinking of doing is that we want to use or current CRUD Process on Enterprise Portal but unhook MDM from backend and hook MDG instead.  If we use our Current CRUD Process on Enterprise Portal then we need to follow Governance on Enterprise Portal which goes thru Workflow on approval process then again all data will come to MDG staging area and then go thru approval process and then in active area.

Can you please tell me what is best practice to follow in this scenario?

Can we use MDG as ECC instance in above scenario?

Thanks,

Megha

former_member196830
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Meghna,

I don't think you can do what you are describing above. If you have MDM, you are probably using the MDM APIs to save your CRUD requests data into MDM and then you are syndicating it downstream to ECC and other systems. You can't remove MDM from the pictures if your Portal is using the MDM iViews or the Webdynpro Configurable MDM components. Also, you might be using BPM to drive your Portal processes.

MDG is a completely different thing. You can't simply replace MDM with it. MDG is an add-on to ECC. You can have the Co-deployed scenario, where it's installed on the same box as your ECC instance, yes. There is a solution (out of the box) for Material, Customer and Vendor, but it won't be the same as the one you have in Enterprise Portal for the MDM solution. You'll have to configure your new user interface for MDG using Floor plan manager instead. Also, you'll have to use the ECC Business Workflows to drive your approvals.

Hope that clarifies things a little

Regards,

Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes, we have MDG which is installed on the same box to our ECC Instance. So
what I understand from your above reply is that we can't use Enterprise Portal
to connect to our MDG/ECC Instance but instead we have to go thru our MDG UI
creation and workflow.

We were thinking of using as below:

1. Have current CRUD process hook to MDG/ECC Instance. So all
create/extend/modify will go thru Enterprise portal and then it updates ECC Table
(this ECC Instance where MDG is add-on to our system)

2. Create some custom UI using FPM for Material/customer/vendor for specific
scenarios in MDG for our end user to use (Mass Load/Mass Change etc)

Please let me know whether it's possible and it’s good practice to follow.

Thanks,

Megha

former_member196830
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Oh yes, you can use Enterprise Portal to connect to the MDG instance and expose the UI there. That's not a problem... You get to chose whether you use EP or NWBC. You'll only have to import the PFCG roles to the Portal and you're good to go.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "Current CRUD process" - that would be the single processing... if your current CRUD processes have UIs that connect to MDM, you can't reuse it, but you can build your new UIs for MDG and expose them to the Portal. If your current process is using BPM or Guided Procedures, I don't think you'll want to reuse it either... I'd rather go with the workflows for MDG that come with it, configure them the way I need and still drive the same or similar process.

Regards,

Boris

You can have the mass load and mass change functionality using MDG, yes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

Thank you for your feedback. This will help!!

Thanks,

Megha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eva,

Login with ur id in Portal and check whether you are seeing Create .. search material ..etc menu( Just like how it appears in NWBC).

If you are not seeing any data then just check whether appropriate roles are assigned to your id.

Thanks,

Manisha