cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding global system properties

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I know that there are some system properties that are available by default via the System.getProperty method. I also know that I can programatically add my own properties to that list.

My question is...Is there some way for an admin to add custom properties to that list through the Visual Administrator or Configuration Manager?

The reason I ask is because we want to have some properties that will have the same name on each runtime environment but different values. For example, let's say we have a property named NOTES_CONTENT_SERVER which will contain a different server name on DEV, QA and PROD.

Please ask if this question is not clear.

Thanks in advance for any help.

David.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sigiswald
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I don't know (I doubt it's possible) if you can define it with Visual Administrator or Configuration Manager, but a system property can certainly be defined as a server startup parameter using -Dproperty=value You can see the available system properties here /sap/monitoring/SystemInfo (the system properties link). I'm not a sys admin so I don't know in exactly which file this is defined.

Kind regards,

Sigiswald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sigiswald,

Thank you for your reply. This looks promising. Can you clarify what you mean by "...you can see the available system properties here /sap/monitoring/SystemInfo..."

Thanks!

Sigiswald
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

I meant the URL http://<host>:<port>/sap/monitoring/SystemInfo

By default, on NW04 the port is 50000 and on NW04s 50100.

Another option is SAP NetWeaver Administrator: http://<host>:<port>/nwa

[System Management >] Administration > Systems > System Properties

Kind regards,

Sigiswald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh, that's nice. I like the fact that I can see all the properties that way.

My original question still remains. How can I add my own properties to that list?

I'm assigning some points even though this didn't resolve my original question but I appreciate the good tip.

Thanks!

Sigiswald
Contributor
0 Kudos

The Config Tool should do the trick: <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/ef/61ca70718e4992befe589d9fb9d37b/frameset.htm">Server Configuration</a> What you need is [Servers] General > Java settings > Java parameters.

Kind regards,

Sigiswald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sigiswald,

Could you please clarify WHERE in Config Tool I can change that? I can't find the General > Java Settings > Java parameters section.

Thanks!

Sigiswald
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

The problem is I don't have access to a Config Tool any more (I should install everything again some time). I'm afraid if the link in my previous post doesn't provide enough information or doesn't apply, there's not much I can do right now...

Kind regards,

Sigiswald

Jeff-Gebo
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Start the config tool, then in the tree structure in the left hand pane navigate to: cluster-data > instance_XXXXX > server_IDXXXXX (highlight this node).

In the General tab that will appear in the right hand pane you will see a label titled "Java parameters:" with a corresponding text field where you can enter all your JVM parameters. Add your global parameter like so "-Dmy.global.prop=blah".

Save your settings, and restart the cluster, you can then lookup the property in your code: System.getProperty("my.global.prop");

Of cousre you could have learned how to set JVM properties with the config tool on the SAP help site here:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/4e/d1cf8d09a94ae79319893c2537d3a0/frameset.htm

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For a web application, you can put your properties in <init-param> defined in web.xml. For different runtime environment, you can customize the parameter for different applications.

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dennis,

Thank you for your reply but I think you may have misunderstood what I'm asking.

I know there are several ways to provide properties for individual webapps including the web.xml method you describe.

What I am looking for is some way to specify properties at the runtime system level. That way I can avoid having to specify the properties in each individual webapp.

Thanks!