cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Result set is too large; data retrieval restricted by configuration Universe Connection

Former Member
0 Kudos

Result set is too large; data retrieval restricted by configuration. I am getting the following error while running queries on universe. How do i solve this?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

There is an enhancement request for this on SAP Ideaplace. Feel free to upvote it.

https://ideas.sap.com/SBODesignStudio/D25489

JW4
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

As of 1.6 the limitation has been raised to 20k rows or 200,000 cells.

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Anil,

I would highly recommend to also - BEFORE posting questions here - to take a look at the product documentation. With the data connectivity to Universes there is a hard limit as mentioned above.

regards

Ingo Hilgefort

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

Is there any way to sort this limitation? Is there any improvement in the roadmap to solve this?

As Sjoerd says, there is no need to put 5000 rows in a table.

But we're working in other projects with HANA / BW and it is very useful to have a general datasource that different key measures and dimensions to consult (therefore containing more than 5.000 rows) and then via script add/remove dimensions to the initial view of the data source so to allow drill-downs, drill-across, etc. giving lots of flexibility to the user.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Best regards,

Juan Carlos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agree there is no need to put 5000 rows in a table, I don't believe this is the point.

We have just received marketing from SAP that when the excelcius limit is reached move to design studio.

Charts and metric viewers can easily need more than 5000 plus rows. I'm trying to build a dashboard app that has multiple dimensionfilters, with multiple charts and so on accross multiple tabs.

When the user changes a filter the whole app updates in a second, fantastic, client happy with the idea until I try to bring in 3 months data to show trends.

Too much data and now I have trouble selling this to the client.

Has anyone got ideas, I cannot find the 5000 row limit in documentation, maybe just a limit with using universes.

Any help appreciated because this will be a show stopper for design studio here.

Cheers,

Colm.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agree this is the point.

And all the great functionality provided by version 1.4 (change dimension, drill down...) can't be used as you need this info in the datasource and it has the 5000 row / 50000 cell limitation.

As per documentation (section Business Layer) it seems to only apply to universes.

We've built comple apps with BW and HANA and there's no limit.

Hope SAP will review this limitation and provide us with the liberty to go further keeping in mind performance limits.

Thanks to everyone and have a nice 2015!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Juan Carlos.

Has anyone out there found a way around this?

Though with a restriction like this I'm guessing there aren't too many BO customers using design studio with universes.

in the Application Designer Guide it states :

Maximum Result Set

The result set has a fixed limit of 5000 rows or 50000 data cells. If either limit is exceeded,
no data is
displayed.(page 69)

Anyone have any idea where the restriction is set? Happy to have a play in a test environment.

Otherwise it will be back to excelcius or very likely another tool. They also have Qlikview here.

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've run up against this threshold as well on UNX connections in Design Studio and yes I'd agree it's an unexpected barrier.  However from what I understand, I think Design Studio runs a UNX resultset through some sort of layer that makes it behave like an OLAP source (such as BW) so I believe it is because of this facade layer that is not at the DB but rather the BOBJ APS Layer, that there is a limit.  I'm a bit sad to hear that it's a hardcoded limit, though.  I'd assumed (but hadn't checked) that this was configurable in the MDAS or DSL APS.  I guess not!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael,

I was hoping the same but no joy.

We are arranging a meeting with SAP early next week to find out what can be done.

I'll post the outcome.

Colm.

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Colm,

I fully support your use case too.  This is clearly a common requirement based on other posts such as this one: Maximum Result Set.  The issue is even more limiting for SDK components, where the result set is restricted to only 10,000 data cells.

One of the best practice recommendations for a DS dashboard is to minimise the number of data sources used in the application to optimise performance, with only one data source being the ideal.  Your use case above is the perfect example of this, where you have multiple dimensions/filters and charts across multiple tabs.  In this situation, when using just one data source, naturally you can end up with a large data set due to the numerous dimensions and measures needed.  It's not that there is a need to display all this data at once but as you've pointed out, more a case of having this data available in the background so that the dashboard updates instantly when filters are applied, resulting in a much more engaging user experience.

Unfortunately, with the current data set limitations, the above scenario can't be implemented very well.

On a related point, Design Studio 1.5 is supposed to include offline functionality to allow "click-through" apps for BI Mobile.  I am hoping that the introduction of this new feature will not reduce the data set limit even further.  In mobile use cases, obviously an entire database can't be downloaded to the device.  Nevertheless, it would be ideal to be able to support large enough data sets to cater for highly interactive offline dashboards with sufficient filtering/drilldown capability.  Perhaps this is a topic you can also raise during your meeting with SAP?

Anyway, I hope the genuine need for the use case you've described is recognised by SAP.  I look foreward to your feedback after the meeting.

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anil,

I think universe support currently limits the number of result rows to a certain amouunt of rows/cells (I think it was 5000 rows or 50000 cells, not sure on this though).

For now, try downsizing your result set(you weren't going to put 5000 rows in a crosstab, were you?).

Sjoerd