cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Password Protected Files

Former Member
0 Kudos

DMS Gurus,

I'm running ECC 6.0 Base (no EHP's applied) and have DMS running.   Occasionally, a user will upload to the Content Server a PDF file that contains protections.   In this file, the Document Open Password is set to a value of "No" as is indicated in the PDF's Security tab shown below.

I have successfully uploaded this file to the content server and saved it via CV01N.  When I retrieve it through CV03N (as a display only command), I get the infamous popup window that asks for a password to be entered.

If the intent is to only view this PDF, I would think that having CV03N open the document would be fine considering there is no password for viewing the document.  I can understand if I was invoking the file using CV02N and using a change mode to pull up the file, but not the CV03N t-code using the display icon.

Is there anything out there that I need to apply to correct this so my users can view password protected (for opening files) for PDF files?  I'm not aware of any SAP Notes discussing this scenario.

Any comments would be appreciated...

Thanks - Richard.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear Richard,

based on your description I think that you are using the ECL Viewer for displaying PDF files. In this case I have to inform you that this means to be the standard when using the ECL Viewer.

After intensive discussions with the vendor company of the ECL Viewer I have to inform you that this password pop-up is unfortunately necessary when displaying a secure PDF file in the ECL Viewer.

In order to open a PDF we need to have permission to both Open the document and to “Content
Copying”.  We will always prompt for an Open password if it its set, and could additionally prompt for a Permissions password.  We need the “Permissions Password” if “Content Copying” is not allowed. 

Adobe Reader gets away without asking for the permissions password since it will enforce
permissions on things like printing and copying.  As far as Adobe is concerned TcVis is copying the content from the doc.

Best regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Chris for sharing your research!  It is unfortunate that is viewed in the context as we get a lot of documents from our business partners and it makes DMS unusable and not practical to get passwords from every supplier with deal with just to read the document.  I understand if we entered into modify mode, but not for read-only.

Do you know if SAP has any room to make a change to consider bypassing the password prompt if I'm strictly in a read-only mode or if this is being handled by Adobe code directly?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have the same problem for maybe one year without any solution.

Fortunately we don't have many PDF files this type.

former_member45824
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Dear Christoph

We do face the same problem more often, since more and more suppliers are going to protect their PDF files wiht passwords.

Is there really no possible solution within SAP?

Regards
Markus

Answers (0)