cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDT bad performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I suddenly have the problem that the information design tool hangs on 5-10minutes after nearly every click you make within the tool.

For example. when i click to synchronize universe structure in DF stage, it takes more than 10 minutes

When looking at my local task manager, i can see that my memory is fully taken, and my cpu is weakly taken

I have a dedicated APS for DF, running on  my BI4 server (-Xmx = 8 Go)

Full client tools and servers are on the same version: BI4.0 sp6 patch 5

I never had this problem before, and i know that no changes were made before that issue comes up.

Any ideas?

Thank You

Regards

Gil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree it's a local issue, but it's something wrong with IDT and not the machine. When I'm writing a formula in the SQL editor (nothing fancy, just writing a formula), the InformationDesignTool.exe process spikes one of the cores in my i5 machine to full usage and each keystroke takes almost half a second to appear onscreen. Comment #5 on this post also reports excessive CPU usage.

I'm also at a loss as to why IDT needs to fetch data from the server when I merely click on different objects in the business layer tree. The application stops responding momentarily and I can see in Task Manager a slight increase in network traffic. I would expect all this data to be local on my machine from the moment I open the universe, or at least cached after the first click on an object, but clicking back and forth between the same objects incurs the same network traffic and application unresponsiveness.

This is on SP7 patch 3, connecting to BW cubes with a JCo relational connection.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all;

I Still have the issue With IDT only when i am using JCo relational connection (Netviewer)

All users in my org suffer from same problem !

I saw the exactly same problem last week on a new install of BI4.1 SP1 on Windows OS and i don't know what happen.
a Ticket is open, i am waiting for some help 😉

A nice day

gil

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

it depends what click you are making, and where -    can you show this "synchronize universe structure" button?

Are you seeing a spike in activity on the DF APS (on the Platform) at the same time?

Regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry

In fact , never mind on what or where I click, IT is only very slow when using. No spike on df activity

It is just strange and appeared suddenly .

It's the reason why i'm a surprised

Regard

Gil

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

OK, so it's a local issue. it could be your machine (shortage of RAM), or your local IT policies (antivirus, firewalls etc)

Do other users in your org suffer from same problem?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Henry for your answer. I will perform some test on several client machines, and let you know