Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC configuration concept.

SCIL
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sachin here, working as sap basis administrator.

My question is regarding RFC concept.

Suppose there are 2 sap systems, "A" and "B"

Now I have configured RFC to system "B" on system "A" i.e from "A" to "B"

Now I have program on system "A" which will remotely call function module on system "B" ,does some calculation on system "B" and the result of it say "XYZ"

has suppose to get on system "A"

Now my question is to get this result "XYZ" back to system "A" , does it is necessary to configure another RFC from "B" to "A"?

or

will the result "XYZ" come through the existing RFC from "A" to "B"?

or

can only 1 RFC conection is required to call remote function module and get it's result?

Warm Regards

Sachin.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Scil,

All RFC types are transferred by means of CPI-C or TCP/IP. They constitute a form of gateway communication.You should have the connection in both ways to transfer the data as said by ruchit.

for more info please check the link about the RFC

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/22/042901488911d189490000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

Cheers.

Shyam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sachin,

Just one addition from my side to the helpful post by Shyam. It is not always necessary to have RFC destinations in both the systems. It depends on your requirements. In you case since A is going to call B and then B is going to send data to A (which is through an RFC call) you need RFC destinations in both the systems. However consider this case where one system A is sending idocs to system B and nothing is coming back in return ( any confirmation through say ALEAUD idocs) then in this situation you only need an RFC destination for system B that will be created in system A.

It is a simple concept though.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sachin,

I have checked it again and I guess your point is pretty much valid.

Normally we it is recommended to have both way RFC connections but on cross checking for scenario similar to yours I found that only one RFC destination will also do the job.

I guess you should be able to work with one RC destination.

As a test i execute the function module TMS_QAM_GET_WORKLIST in my development system to get QA worklist for my QA system. I maintained RFC destination for QA system in my Dev system but deleted the corresponding entry for DEV system in my QA system. And still this thing works perfectly. I guess this is an intrinsic feature of RFC enabled function modules.

You can test this yourself but even I would suggest using RFC destinations in both systems for avoding any issues in future.

Thanks a lot for correcting me.

Regards.

Ruchit.

SCIL
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Ruchit, as well shyam

As per u , in my case both way RFC is needed. Fine.

But sill,

once system "A" calls Function module of System "B" , the result say "XYZ" can also come through the same RFC back to system "A" and not required RFC from "B" to "A"

Warm Regards

Sachin.

Message was edited by:

scil scil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sachin,

In your case RFC destination is needed in both the cases. This is because through one destination in system A remote function call will be made. Once the execution is done and data xyz is prepared then system B will need some kind of gateway to send the data in system A. Thus you need to create the second RFC destination in system B for system A as well.

Please award points accordingly.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Message was edited by:

Ruchit Khushu