Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HCM - who to do the data transfer ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am new to TDMS.

I would like to ask the community on what is the usual or best practice in who should be doing or executing

the data transfer from PROD to a receiver system involving HR data, which is typically sensitive.

Should it be HR business owner or IT ? The dilemma is that HR is typically intimidated with the steps and the

tool (TDMS).  For IT, my impression is that the IT must be granted with the necessary HR (PA/PD/PY) authorizations

first, and in most organization, IT do not (and should not) have access to PROD data.

Hence, if HR is to run it, the tool is probably not user friendly enough. If IT is to run it, is it possible

not to grant the IT any HR authorization (on the sender), and yet, IT able to select and run the data transfer ?

Thank you and regards,

Kir Chern

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Hello Kir Chern,
  • You cannot transfer HCM data without having HR related authorizations. So the IT guy cannot transfer data without the specific HR authorizations.
  • A communication user in the RFC should be maintained for the TDMS HCM transfer.
  • Let the IT guy run all the activities apart from selection.
  • Ask the IT guy to set the switch SND_LOGON as 'X'. SND_LOGON is a technical switch which impacts selection and transfer. If the production system and the TDMS (control) system have different RFC destinations and if you set this switch to X, the Identify Objects for Data
    Selection activity initiates an explicit logon to the production system where the HR guy can do the data selection and data transfer.
  • Then the HCM guy can run selection activity only and the IT guy can execute rest of the steps.

However, it is recommended that the IT guy creates the package settings and the HR guy does the actual data selection and data transfer.
Best Regards,
Farheen.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So in the case of HR data from your Production system, if you copy all HR tables you don't need any new/special authorizations and the data will be scrambled in your production system (that is if you inform the project/package to scramble the data).

If you only want a select # of records, then you need an HR rep to work with you; or depending on your business a SQL DBA may be a good choice as they can technically already see the HR data on the back side.

Also on the topic of scrambling you should work on a solution with your HR team to define your scrambling rules; you can actually control how the data is scrambled vs just random data being replaced in the system.  As an example you can set a number range for the salary information, but for birthdays you could set a static date or have TDMS assign different values to different employee records.

And on a final note, your HR team also needs to inform you if HR data is allowed to be copied out of Prod without being scrambled; I heard (TDMS10 instructor) that England/Europe law does not allow for Prod HR data to leave Production unless it is scrambled.