cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubt regarding WDP Meta Model

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was going through a Web Dynpro tutorial and found the following statement.

"Web Dynpro helps you with the development of Web applications by ensuring platform-independence with the meta model approach. When you program an applicaton using the Web Dynpro tools, the system generates a platform-independent meta model"

I dont think its an additional advantage given by WDP framework, as even if we program the UI with JSPDynpages using HTMLB, it creates java classes which are platform independent.

So how is this Meta Model approach different. I dont think its an additional feature provided by the WDP framework, as this is a feature of Java.

Can anyone let me know if I am wrong in thinking so.

Regards,

Sudhir

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sudhir,

This is not only about server, and this is mostly not about server but client.

WD has support for different type of clients built-in: HTML, hand-helds, .NET SmartClient, Java SmartClient. Who knows, probably Adobe Flex/Apollo tomorrow...

So WD meta-model provides necessary level of abstraction that let's you write one code and let this code to be executable by different clients. Try this with JSP -- and you understand that you have to invent wheel yourself. Try to find JSF implementation with same set of features -- I doubt you find any...

Valery Silaev

SaM Solutions

http://www.sam-solutions.net

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Valery Silaev,

Thanks for your reply. I am little confused now. You said that platform-indepence is mostly about the client. But we call the WDP from the portal/browser (which is basically an UI) and the processing takes place on the server side. So the client is nothing but a browser kind of thing. Even in the site I found this statement which confused me more --> " From this meta model, the <b>system</b> then creates the Java classes which are executed at runtime on the J2EE Engine in the SAP Web Application Server", what does he mean by system here, the client or the server ?

Sorry if I am sounding silly.

Regards,

Sudhir