cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Move DB files on other disk on server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

How To Move DB files on other disk on server, not use  backup and restore procedure ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oleg

If you are not on Windows, you can use symbolic links for this purpose. Shut down your IQ server, move your files and create symbolic links with names of original files that point to the new location (with "ln -s" if you database is on Linux). You will have to create symbolic links for files with absolute path specified, you can find the list of relevant files it in sysfile table. If you move the IQ catalog too then you may have to run dblog utility to update the path to the transaction log of the IQ catalog. Check it on a test environment first. Actually, I found it a good practice to create IQ databases on symbolic links from the beginning.

Another possible option is to add new dbfiles to relevant dbspace(s), mark the dbfiles at the original location as read-only and move the existing data to new dbfiles, probably by index rebuilding. When the data moving is finished, you should be able to drop original dbfiles.

Hope it helps

Leonid Gvirtz

Message was edited by: Leonid Gvirtz I mistakenly advised to use mkfifo to create symbolic links. Of course, mkfifo is used to create named pipes, not symbolic links. Sorry for confusion, I just dealt with mkfifo in another window when I was writing the answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Symbolic links - sounds great, but my environtmet is Widows 2008 Server x64 IQ 15.3 Ent

Sorry I had to write it in post

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Windows supports something quite similar in more recent versions of
their OS.  
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363878%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

They also support mounting whole drives as a folder rather than needing to assign a drive letter.

In essence you could have something like this set up:

c:\sybase\database\IQlinks\IQmain1

c:\sybase\database\IQlinks\IQmain2

c:\sybase\database\IQlinks\IQmain3

c:\sybase\database\IQlinks\IQmain4

c:\sybase\database\IQlinks\IQmain5

Where each of these point to a physical disk somewhere.http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753321.aspx

Mark