cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle patch set installation/update (from 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I´m faced some doubts regarding the Oracle Patch Set update activity! The SAP system is an ERP 6.0 EHP6 in a Windows Server 2008 (R2).

My goal is to do the update of Oracle Patch Set from 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.3! For this, I did the download of Oracle RDBMS 11.2.0.3 file and I read the sap note 1431799 (Oracle 11.2.0: Current Patch Set) and also the README file!

I started the installation of this patch set and then I followed the wizard without problems and I finished it with success! But now I ask you guys, this is the only thing that I need to do to install/update the patch set in oracle database?

The only thing that I did was changed the ORACLE_HOME to the new path --> C:\oracle\ORA\11203

I started the SAP system in SAPMMC without problems, but when I went to menu option System --> Status I see that the release of oracle is still the 11.2.0.2 version:

But why!??

Other thing that seems to me weird is when I checked the listener version I see the 11.2.0.2.0 information version:

C:\>lsnrctl

LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production on 22-NOV-2013 19:38:45

Copyright (c) 1991, 2011, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Welcome to LSNRCTL, type "help" for information.

LSNRCTL> version

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))

TNSLSNR for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

Windows NT Named Pipes NT Protocol Adapter for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production,,

The command completed successfully

LSNRCTL>

When I checked the Listener service (in services.msc) I see the following:

As you see above the path to executable is from 11202 patch and not from 11203!! 😞

Can you help me please in way to understand what is wrong here!?!

Kind regards,

samid raif

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Raif,

Have you upgraded your database with Oracle Database Upgrade Assistant (DBUA). after installing 11.2.0.3 software ? step :upgrade the Oracle database.

After this did you performed all Post-Upgrade Steps after upgrade ?

like set the user environment variables, create the Oracle TNSListener service etc.. ?

Please read Oracle upgrade guide, for all details.

best regards

ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ashish vikas,

Hum... but this is an oracle upgrade?! I thought it was only a patch set update inside the same version 11.2g and the procedure for this type of activity is differs from an oracle upgrade... because I only consider an "upgrade" when you do a transition between Oracle versions, I mean, for example between 10.2 and 11.2.

So... because of that, I didn´t know that I needed to do all the things that you mentioned in your message!

So... I need to follow the oracle upgrade procedure described in Oracle Upgrade guide, am I right?

Thank you,

samid raif

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

this will be like an upgrade.. starting with 11g process has changed a bit.

Starting with the first patch set for Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0.2), Oracle Database patch sets are full installations of the Oracle Database software.

Yes, you need to read upgrade guide for Oracle 11.2.0.3 and do all activity mentioned there.

best regards

ashish

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

It looks like you only installed the 11.2.0.3 version and didn't upgrade the database. The above query will show you the version of the database.

You need to install the 11.2.0.3 version Oracle database software to a new home and then upgrade the database to the 11.2.0.3 level.

The upgrade guide for Oracle on Windows speaks about the patch level upgrade for 11G release.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Reagan,

Ok!! Yes, you are right... I ran the command and this is the output:

SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
CORE    11.2.0.2.0      Production
TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

So... I will read the upgrade guide.

I will give you more information when I finish this oracle upgrade.

Thank you,

samid raif

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, first do Oracle upgrade (and next steps).

as of now you have not run DBUA, so there is no way your oracle will show upgraded version details.

best regards

ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ashish and Reagan,

Now everything is fine after I have performed all necessary activities described in the oracle upgrade guide!

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,

samid raif

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Open a command prompt.

sqlplus "/as sysdba"

select * from v$version;

Regards

RB