cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VC in browser: translate model to ZH

Ben_jamin
Explorer
0 Kudos

I am trying to create a Trad Chinese language translation of my VC model, using the Tranlsate Model tool in VC 73 SPS02 accessed from the browser.

If I change the texts in the tool, the xlf file does not save them (they appear as squares in ANSII, or question marks if converted to UTF-8)

The following help documentation says don't change texts in the tool, do it in notepad or a text editor.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/42/d8b6368c164e258c0a3e427b3743d2/content.htm

OK... so I have tried the following:-

1. Create a new translation with language Chinese. in the Translate Model tool

2. Download the .xlf and .properties files to my local machine

3. Edit the files replacing the master language (EN) texts with the translations, which are made up of Simplified Chinese characters

4. Because the .xlf is ANSII by default, I need to change the file type or lose the unicode characters.. I save as UTF-8

5. Upload the file back into the Translate Model tool, view the texts they are WRONG

example of wrong... 延期交货管理

I have tried saving the xlf file as Unicode & Unicode big-endian .. they will not upload back into the tool.

Not sure what else I can try. Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Ben

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member202465
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ben,

It sounds like we will need to investigate this, and might need some resources as well. could you please open a ticket for this?

Thanks,

Udi

Ben_jamin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Udi,

We opened the ticket, and I just updated it . . . .

I said before that if you add the Chinese symbols in the Translate Model Tool then download the file, the Chinese appears as '??????' or squares.

However, if I export the whole model, then the .xlf file in the zip file does still contain the Chinese symbols.

So it looks as if the issue there is with the download function only ... you are not given an opportunity to download the file from the Translate Model tool and save it as UTF-8, it defaults to ANSII and therefore loses texts!

So maybe I was wrong, I do have a way to translate, I just to it in the Translate Model tool, and trust that it is ok (despite what the SAP NW73 help suggests...). If so, I'm very happy about this!

But there is still a problem potentially, in that you cannot edit the xlf files locally, add Chinese symbols, save as UTF-8 file and then upload back into the Translation Model. I still find when I try this, that the Chinese texts are corrupted.