Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background Jobs Issue

emani_raghavendra
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

In my previous project , when we use to run a background job and if any particular user has locked some combinations , it used to show as an error and that particular job used to show as failed in SM37 .

But , in my current project we are facing issue like , when a user locks the combination also, in logs it is showing as an error that user has locked the combination , but in SM37 , it is showing that job was successful. So we are unable to track whether the job got success or failed as according to SM37 , it was success and as per the logs , some combinations did not get updated.

My question is , How we can tell the system that , if any error m essage occurs , then it should show as a failed job in SM37 ? Or should we contact Basis Team for this kind of updation.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Emani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There're quite a lot of notes regarding DP background job status -- the stauts is controlled in DP mass processing program instead of by SM37 or basis. Please check those notes first.

You should clarify first:

- Whether you're using parallel processing?

- If use parallel processing, what is the job status without parallel processing?

- Did you check the job in a process chain or only the DP job?

emani_raghavendra
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Ada. I will check on the notes.

In my previous project we use parallel processing.

But now, in my current assignment all are batch jobs which are scheduled by AUTOSYS Team. Now, when there is some error message in the logs also ( Combination locked by User XXXX ) , in SM37 it was showing that job was successfully completed. Actually , it should show job has got failed if i understand correctly.

Thanks for the reply.

former_member187488
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Generally when the processing of a CVC fails, it should not fail the whole job, so that the following CVCs should be processed. I think you also don't want the whole job fails only because one CVC is locked. Normally we do not fail the whole job when applciation error happens to a CVC, instead we only save the error to job log (or spool). If a job failed with "Cancelled" status, it means the job cannot proceed with a fatal error. If you want to fail the job when error occurs to one CVC, it means the following CVCs (in the same block) will not be processed ... what's your opinion here?

emani_raghavendra
Participant
0 Kudos

hi ,

i agree with you. But in our case , when the batch job was run all the CVC's ( around 38000 ) assigned to that particular job were not processed as they were locked. But in SM37 , it showed that job was success though not even one CVC also got processed.

Due to this, We thought job was success and did not cross check and had proceeded with the next jobs. But, 2 days later we came to know that the job was not correctly run, So, when i checked the logs , i found all the entires ( CVC's ) were locked by some user, but in SM37 it has shown success.

Its not possible to check logs always right ?  So, generally we take the status of SM37 into consideration. I want the job to be shown as failed only in SM37 , when none of the combination was processed ( Atleast.. ) .

i am attaching the screenshot of the log, where you can see all combinations got failed, but in SM37 this job was showing success. ( Green ) .....

emani_raghavendra
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ada,

One last query .. in my previous assignment in the same scenario as above , it used to show that the job was failed in SM37 . We use to run  the jobs through Process chains and defined parallel processing .

But , in current assignment all are batch jobs ....

Is there any dependency ? Is it the reason why it is not showing as failed ? How parallel processing / Process chain effect the status of the job ???

Thanks....

emani_raghavendra
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ada,

I have found a Note 1180107 which gives a solution to this problem. But i am curious to know how Parallel processing profile when activated , can change a job which is displayed in FINISHED State to a FAILED Stated.

OSS NOTE 1180107. Can you please have a look on the note and suggest ..

Thanks,

emani

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear emani

Please share what reason and solution you found for your problem.

Ravi

emani_raghavendra
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello ravi,

Please refer to OSS Note no. 1180107 .  There SAP has provided the changes to be done in the program code.

Thanks,

emani

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sourabh_jain66
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Emani,

I don't think that you can put such control in SM37, contacting your basis team would be wise decision here.

Rgds

Sourabh