cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChaRM Retrofit - Different Development Release

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have configured a Retrofit and it is working fine at the moment for our dual track scenario which is like below

DEV1 - QA 1 -> PRD

DEV 2 - QA 2

Now we will be creating another landscape as DEV3 and QA3 due to some business requirements and customer wants to Retrofit changes from QA 1 to new DEV 3 box

Problem or Issue is QA1 and all above systems are ECC Ehp5 version and the new DEV3 Box is ECC Ehp6 version.

Can we retrofit changes from old version into new version of ECC using ChaRM Retrofit?

Please HELP?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nisha,

Its not possible to move any transport request from a lower release to a higher release or vice versa. Hence the same is also not possible with the retrofit functionality of SAP charm. You need to have both the system in the same release.

Regards,

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mohar

Sure it's possible but nowadays you have a flag that stops such a request from importing which can be overruled.

Possible yes but recommended no.

It still happens though, at customer side we have corporate development for example who create ABAP programs which are rolled out to all SAP landscapes so also cross release which is possible.

Best regards

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Tom for reply.

Actually customer wants to create a new landscape with Dev and Quality with upgraded versions,

but we still need to update them with retrofitting changes from maintenance going into production.

How can we do this with ChaRM?

It is not big changes, it is just a small change like EHP5 to EHP6 ECC 6.0.

Regards,

Nisha

former_member204161
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nisha ,

Quite often customer has their implementation landscape at a higher level . I believe they should be able to Retrofit changes from Ehp5 to Ehp6 without technical issues , but risk of downgraded objects is there as was pointed in previous post .

You may need to use manual adjustments while doing retrofits . Even though the landscapes may differ in only EhP levels , you need to analyse the objects which are being effected by the bug fixes . I think BPCA/Upgrade Analyzer can help you understand which objects/custom code are effected by the EhP Upgrade . If the bug fixes are for custom programs not touched by the upgrade ,I think retrofit may be a safe option . Would certainly like to hear others thoughts on this !

Regards,

Shaswat

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nisha

It sounds like a bad idea really.

Since I suppose you'll have to proof that to some extent:

You'll want to have a look at SAP Note

1090842 - Composite note: Transports across several releases

Quote from the SAP note:

For this reason, this SAP Note concerns only objects from the development environment. It does not concern any application objects (such as Customizing objects). Transports of any application objects and especially Customizing transports between various release levels are generally not supported even if they work without apparent technical problems.

Your systems have different Netweaver versions 702 vs 703. Technically it would be possible to retrofit but I would not recommend it. It could result in a lot of manual work, the risk of downgrading objects and so on.

Best regards

Tom