cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asmcmd in oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

I have this strange issue where i get connected to idle instance whenever i type asmcmd from oracle user.

oracle user is part of the asmadmin group.

ORACLE_SID is the same as we get fro instance_name from v$instance.

Do we still have to set some parameters in order to launch asmcmd?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

alexander_brocke
Explorer
0 Kudos

problem solved?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

Merry xmas and happy new year .

Honestly i wasnt able to fix the issue i tried using the work around through sql plus.

Probably will need your help again.

Can we start again with the troubleshooting front.

alexander_brocke
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi!

xmas and new year are now more or less far away, but wishing you the same as well

To change your environment in easiest way between the GRID Installation (SID= +ASM) and your "real" DB Instance (SID = "SAPSID", e.g. CP1) use the tool oraenv (bash) or coraenv (c-shell).

Use it this way:

execute as user oracle the command "source /usr/local/bin/oraenv" or for c-shell the same with coraenv. It will ask you for your SID I explained above. Enter "+ASM" and your environment will be set correctly and you'll be able to use asmcmd and other tools.

Cheers,

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

I lost the access to box now, cannot try anything.

Can we build something at home and try this stuff?

alexander_brocke
Explorer
0 Kudos

You could just build a an ASM Instance with a SAP System installed on it from scratch to test what you wanted to do... do the things i already told you and you will see that it will work 🙂

Cheers,

Alex

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Please have a look at

https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2366362

Best Regards

Marius

alexander_brocke
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi!

make sure you applied the the following document(s):

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7971

Please check the following variables: "ORACLE_HOME", "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" and "PATH".

Make sure the correct directory is set (Because there's a softlink issue in this case).

If the above mentioned variables refer to /oracle/GRID/112 then change them all referring to /oracle/GRID/1120x, where the x stand for e.g. 2 or 3 (so 11202 or 11203 should be resulting) or change them vice versa.

Example:

Changes are made from 112 to 11203:

ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/GRID/11203

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oracle/GRID/11203/lib

PATH=/oracle/GRID/11203/bin; ......

Then pls try again to connect with asmcmd.

BTW: Have you already tried starting asmca? Is that working properly? How about "crsctl" commands lik "crsctl status resource -t". Is that working?

Best,

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

asmca doesnt work

_X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't get address for <>:6000: Name or service not known

crsctl status resource -t : works fine

ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/SID/11202

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oracle/SID/11202/lib

ORACLE_PATH=/oracle/SID/BASE/common/oracle/sql:.:/oracle/SID/11202/rdbms/admin

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oracle/SID/11202/lib

PATH=/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/etc/opt/emcpower/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/etc/opt/emcpower/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/oracle/SID/11202/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/oracle/SID/11202/bin:/oracle/GRID/11202/OPatch:/oracle/GRID/11202/bin

SHLIB_PATH=/oracle/SID/11202/lib

-bash-3.2$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.2.0 Production on Tue Nov 26 07:31:45 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

With the Partitioning, Real Application Clusters, Automatic Storage Management, OLAP,

Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL> select * from v$version

2 ;

BANNER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

CORE 11.2.0.2.0 Production

TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

alexander_brocke
Explorer
0 Kudos

So your database works as expected. Fine!

If you want to use asmcmd and/or other Tools, make sure you have GRID instead of your SID in the paths. And also please try with the two options in path referring to 112 or 11202.

--> /oracle/GRID/11202

Make sure as user oracle your variable PATH does only point to ONE oracle directory, so in this case only to your GRID directory and not, as posted before by you, to multiple Oracle software installation directories.

If you want to get connected to DB +ASM (which is your ASM Instance which gets installed with the GRID software) make sure to use the connection string connect / as sysasm

asmca doesn't work because it has no display (X window forwarding).

At least, pls have a look at this, as already mentioned:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7971

while most important is this one: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/90e629a6-0611-2e10-0f9d-860802da0...

Best,

Alex

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Benjamin,

I had already checked those links.

But the problem here is that even though user is part of the asmadmin i cannot connect to ASM.

i get a message saying that connected to idle instance.