cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Sales Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi mobility guru,

I am going to setup SAP Sales Manager 2.5, and I am researching whether I should use SMP 2.3 as the Agentry Server for this application, or use the standalone Agentry server (Sales Manager Server). From the SAP Sales Manager Administration document, it only provide the steps regarding setup the Sales Manager Server as Agentry standalone server, and never mention about SMP 2.3. Can someone please advise me whether I should use SMP or Sales Manager Server for my installation?

My another concern is the SAP Sales Manager Client has to communicate with the server outside office network. Which means that the application in the mobile device should connect to the server without VPN. As per my research, I found that the Sales Manager Server/Client does not support reverse proxy such as Apache HTTP 2.2 (which I currently had). As per your experience, how do you allow the Sales Manager client connect to the server via public IP address without VPN?

Thank you.

Regards,

Edison

Tags edited by: Michael Appleby

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Edison,

Either approach should be fine, either using SMP 2.3 or a stand-alone Agentry server.  Also, there should be no problem connecting via public IP address without VPN.  That is the easiest possible connection scenario.  When connecting, specify the server's IP address and listen port (default should be 7003) when prompted on the client and it should connect and download the application definitions.

Jason Latko - Senior Product Developer at SAP

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Both Agentry standalone (6.0.x) and SMP 2.3 / 3.0 Agentry can be used behind a reverse proxy.  You just need to make sure the proxy is configured as a tcp pass through mode.

Customers usually deploy to one of three configurations if external access is needed.

1) Agentry Server in the DMZ

2) Load Balancer/Reverse Proxy in the DMZ and Agentry either in the DMZ or Internal

3) VPN connection on client

There are of course many options for deployment and you will need to choose the one that best fits your architecture and security requirements.

You can also learn more at the following link.

Good luck!

--Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Edison Wang, You can connect to your agentry server (SMP 2.3) by reverse proxy. (Reverse Proxy Server ) ----

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Edison,

You will need to have 2 seperate configurations for the reverse proxy either way.

Unfortunately I am not that familiar with the Apache server but I believe they have a module that provides tcp balancing / proxy capabilities that could be used with the Agentry server.

--Bill

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You can also use a reverse proxy but it must be setup for passthrough mode.  Meaning, whatever traffic it receives it simply passes through unaltered to the Agentry or SMP 2.3 server behind the firewall. 

--Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jason and Bill for your advise. Myself and my team mate had successfully setup the Sales Manager Server, and the mobile client was successfully receive CRM records from backend and show on the device. The connection from the client to the server is via VPN for now.

@Bill,

The reverse proxy with passthrough mode that you mentioned, can the Apache HTTP server setup for that?

I am working on the mobility landscape at the moment, which involve SAP Bobj mobile app and SAP Sales Manager mobile app. My research say that SAP Bobj mobile app is able to connect to BI Mobile server via reverse proxy using HTTP traffic, but SAP Sales Manager mobile app is only able to connect to Sales Manager server via reverse proxy using TCP traffic. Therefore, my concern here is whether I need two different reverse proxy server (1 for HTTP traffice and another 1 for TCP traffic), or there is a reverse proxy server can be setup to handle both of this?

From my question above, you might know that I have limited experience on reverse proxy and just start getting research on this area. I wish you or any expert can give some advice for me.

Thanks.

Edison