cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same storage bin for two storage types

former_member472479
Participant
0 Kudos

We would like to use two storage types that have similar storage bin structures assigned. Such that a storage bin will be created for both storage types (e.g. 001 ABCD and 002 ABCD). The whole warehouse structure will be assigned similar to both storage types.

The purpose is to seperate phyiscal inventory processing for the different materials. In storage type 001 we would like to store only non-consignment materials (cycle counting physical inventory) and in storage type 002 only consignment materials (yearly physical inventory).

Do you have any concerns or experiance in creating a storage bin twice for two storage types?

Thank you in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor

The bin name is usually not a name like Andrea or Peter, it is more a coordinate representing a hall, the aisle, the rack , the shelf.

If those 2 storage types are physically separated from each other, then I see no bigger issue having the same names in both storage types. However, I would try to avoid such if they are located in the same room, this will just cause confusion, always think that the warehouse workers are usually not academics. 

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

DominikTylczyn
Active Contributor

I'd always advise to number storage bins uniquely per warehouse number. Then you don't have any confusion, storage bin number directly points to a physical location irrespective of storage type, you can use storage bin number directly as bar code on the bin label (just copy storage bin number to bin verification field) - quite a few advantages I'd say.

Also that's how the bin numbering is organized in EWM.

0 Kudos

Hi,
This answer depends on your warehouse management system of SAP. In the book of SAP about Extended Warehouse Management is mentioned the following:

Unlike in ERP WM, the storage bin names in eWM are unique and may not be duplicated across storage types’.

So in eWM it’s not possible, in WM or SSO it is perfectly possible.

Kind regards,
Bart Temmerman (Belgium)

former_member220529
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

there isn't any technical restriction in creating 2 storage types with the same bins, even if this is not a best practice, since this situation can generate confusion in the warehousemen.

Best regards

Claudio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

No issue for maintaining the same Bin for different storage type...Bin is for keeping the stock specific place (Bin)..so you have to maintain the same bin for different storage type.

With regards

Dinesh